Read So You Can Write

During the summer, I drafted a novel in two months. It was my first young adult contemporary romance. I had the itch for a story that brought me to tears during a walk when it came to fruitation. Any free-ish moment I had, I was at the coffee shop for an hour at a time trying to get it down. I was stoked with how it turned out, given how fast it went. Then, I took a two week break and decided to fill down time with hoarded reading time before edits.

I've been an avid reader since my childhood. For the past several years, I dived heavily into YA fantasy, because that was what I was writing at the time. Another genre would be my second or bedside table read. This summer, I spent more time finding my comp titles, so I veered toward writers in the contemporary genre. I was thankful for that opportunity because I found some new authors/books to love. In general, I do read just about everything and two books at a time. One in a genre I'm writing, one in another, for the most part.

But the thing is, I was asked how I can even find time to read. However, I posed a question back to the person and said how do you fill your day? They answered with various hobbies, about three of them. My answer to them was when they are busy with their hobbies, I read. When I'm done with work, dinner, a walk, family time, etc.--I read. I read before I go to bed while in bed. I read when I have downtime at work. I read when I'm waiting in my car when I rarely need to. I read when I want to relax and everyone is off doing something else. I read after church to chill. I read when I'm going through emotions and need to escape. I read because that is my hobby, and the one thing I keep coming back to.

Part of my reading, is also part of knowing what I like in writing, research really. What I'd like to aspire to be, what worked and didn't work for me in a book, what writerly tricks, familiar tropes, prose styles are still workable. It's studying and learning. It's familiarizing yourself in a work you want to do and commit time to. If I were an artist, or aspiring artist, I would look at other people's art. I would want to go to galleries, look them up online, see their videos of how they did it, and what I'd like to try myself. If I were a singer, or aspiring singer, I would listen to other's songs. I would go to concerts, look up artists, watch their videos, and test my vocal range and style because of it.

If you're going to be a writer, read so you can write.

Love your guts, 
-Tammy-

Here's what I've read this year so far in fiction. Yes, I read non-fiction as well. (5 writing craft books, 1 self-help, 1 memoir) If you've read any of them listed below, or wondered how they are, let me know! 

ALL THE STARS AND TEETH by Adalyn Grace
FABLE by Adrienne Young
NAMESAKE by Adrienne Young
TIDES by Adrienne Young
THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LARUE by V.E. Schwab
MIDNIGHT SUN by Stephenie Meyer
FURIA by Yamile Said Mendez
CEMETERY BOYS by Aiden Thomas
LOVE ME AGAIN, COWBOY by Torsha Baker
THE POET X by Elizabeth Acevedo
CLAP WHEN YOU LAND by Elizabeth Acevedo
WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON by John Green
PAPERTOWNS by John Green
LOOKING FOR ALASKA by John Green
A PHO LOVE STORY by Loan Le
THE SUMMER I TURNED PRETTY by Jenny Han
WHEN SUMMER ENDS by Jessica Pennington
AGAIN, AGAIN by E. Lockhart
SUNKISSED by Kasie West
BONE GAP by Laura Ruby
IN THE WILD LIGHT by Jeff Zentner
SIXTEENTH SUMMER by Michelle Dalton
MORE HAPPY THAN NOT by Adam Silvera
HISTORY IS ALL YOU LEFT ME by Adam Silvera
LOVE AND GELATO by Jenna Evans Welch
SOMEONE LIKE YOU by Sarah Dessen
THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER by Sarah Dessen
RANDOM ACTS OF MURDER: A MURPHY'S LAW MYSTERY by Terry Deighton
ELEANOR & PARK by Rainbow Rowell
THE SHADOWS BETWEEN US by Tricia Levenseller
BEYOND THE MAPPED STARS by Rosalyn Eves

Comments

I always read. Genre and target age groups are limitations I ignore. I neglect other things read - and feel very little guilt. And, as an aside, a work colleague had a major stroke which took away her ability to read, to write and to relearn those skills. My heart aches for her.
An acquaintance of ours doesn't read. He describes himself as a writer. I disagree.
Tammy Theriault said…
Audiobooks might work for yojr friend. I tried a handful of them before I said no more. I dont get into them as easy. I like to see the words. Im also a visual learner so that may hvae something to do with it.
I've read one whole book this year -- "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles. However, I do have two other partially-read books on the go at the moment. And so far in 2021, I've read 118 torrid fanfics about Captain America and the Winter Soldier. Hey, we all have our unique tastes in literature . . . .
Tammy Theriault said…
Fanfic is reading!! Totally believe that. So you've technically read a crap load 💜
I realized that I spent way too much time on discussion forums like Reddit, which is a rabbit hole I do not want to keep going into because I end up arguing with jerks online over stupid things. Once I stopped staring at my phone and more time reading "real" stories, I was able to get a lot more reading done. Your reading list looks interesting, and I'm going to add some of those titles to my TBR list too.
Natalie Aguirre said…
I love to read too and try to read a lot like you. Loved seeing what you've been reading. I loved Beyond the Mapped Stars. Hope you start blogging more. Miss you.
Exactly! Reading is the first thing on the list for being a better writer.
Tammy Theriault said…
We waste time frequently. It's annoying when we realize it. Hahaha! HAPPY reading!!!
Tammy Theriault said…
I miss you, too, Natalie!!! I loved Rosalyn's book. Not a lot of reads keep me thinking about them a few days later. Hers has.
Christine Rains said…
YES! Reading is so important. I'll read any genre too. A good story is a good story. I also believe it is vital for writers to read a lot. I tell everyone it's me working and to leave me alone to read! :D
I'm impressed with the list of books. You have a great point. I need to turn off the TV and read!

Great job finishing a book so fast. I did that with Defying Reason. It was a good feeling. The one I'm working on now is like pulling my teeth.
Deniz Bevan said…
Ooh, I've read Looking for Alaska but not the other two John Green books! Adding them to the wishlist...
Tammy Theriault said…
Loved it!!! All his books really. Lol
XImena Jimena said…
Hello everyone my name Ximena Jimena from Cuba i want to use this medium to inform the world on how i got cured from Herpes at first when i had symptoms back in 2014 i went for test and it came out positive i lost hope of getting a better relationship or marriage, everything changed when i met Dr Itua i contacted explained everything to him and he said he has the cure so i decided to order it from him, so i actually did after 2 weeks i went for test and i was negative i'm forever grateful to him.he can also cure
hpv
Hiv/Aids
epilepsy
sickle cell anaemia
diabetes
copd
barrenness
cancer
wart
psoriasis
pityriasis rosea etc.
email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com

Popular Posts