Finding Your True Voice

If ya'll remember, back in 2017, I eagerly drafted a Viking fantasy in 3 months. It had sisters, believing in oneself, a side order of romance... and then months later, I redrafted the entire book. Yeah. I did that. And suddenly, the theme and direction began to change. I felt the microscope of the writing community and what publishers were currently publishing coming down to a few subjects/themes. I became overwhelmed with this incessant need to write to that. If I didn't then my book wasn't good enough. And without actively wanting to, I let my book be for them. That's how freaking tight the grasp was.

Those are the lies we tell ourselves - that it's not a story if it doesn't fit the current xyz. Um, hello, those change frequently. New trends happen because we make them happen.

I'd several requests for the book, came close, never made it. 

However, it taught me more than I asked for, and for that? I'm grateful. I learned to not write for some idea going around. I learned that I needed to be behind it's every word 100% with my words, not ones stuffed down my throat. I made a mistake to myself. I moved on, vowing never again. I'm better for it. Although...there is one side character asking for a redo and to power up to main character.

That is finding your true voice - your writing. YOUR writing.

It's not a secret. It's not a formula. It's your words, in your order, with no influence of mass media or anyone else filling your head. It's your character in your way because that's how you see them, not how you think they'll sell by changing the true image that came to you. It's your message, or no message. Your theme, or no theme. It's how you see the story in your head if you never knew what was trending in the moment. It's what brings you back to telling the story because you are steering the wheel. It's your jargon. It's your twist on sentences and paragraphs and chapters and all their structures. 

It's you on the gosh dang page. Not them. Just write what you see, and tell it how you'd tell it. In your own gosh dang words.

Love your guts,

-Tammy -

P.S. What about you? What are you writing, listening to, watching on TV? What has 2021 looked like for you?? 

Comments

Sounds like a very valuable lesson!
A painful but powerful lesson to take on board.
Tammy Theriault said…
It WAS painful. And that's when you are growing.
Kristin Smith said…
I love this!! Tell it, girl!! ❤️

-Kristin Smith
Deniz Bevan said…
I do love thinking that everything we work on is part of the learning process! I'm in the middle of my Great Agatha Christie Reread :-)
Hey! It's been a while since I have been here, but I am glad I came back.

I had something similar happen with a couple of projects last year. In my case I talked to my wife and she reminded me that I write to make myself happy. If I wasn't happy with my own work no one else would be either. Turns out she was right. My little project went well and became one of my best sellers.

The same advice holds here.
Zonahobisaya said…
Място на уеб янг багус : Zonahobisaya
Място на уеб янг багус : Zonahobisaya
Място на уеб янг багус : Zonahobisaya
Място на уеб янг багус : One Piece
Място на уеб янг багус : Zonahobisaya
Място на уеб янг багус : Logo
Място на уеб янг багус : One Piece
Място на уеб янг багус : Biodata
XImena Jimena said…
Hello everyone my name Ximena Jimena from Cuba i want to use this medium to inform the world on how i got cured from Herpes at first when i had symptoms back in 2014 i went for test and it came out positive i lost hope of getting a better relationship or marriage, everything changed when i met Dr Itua i contacted explained everything to him and he said he has the cure so i decided to order it from him, so i actually did after 2 weeks i went for test and i was negative i'm forever grateful to him.he can also cure
hpv
Hiv/Aids
epilepsy
sickle cell anaemia
diabetes
copd
barrenness
cancer
wart
psoriasis
pityriasis rosea etc.
email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com

Popular Posts