Querying and Writing and Writing Some More...

I noticed that I haven't blogged in about ten months. And generally have spaced out my posts by several months. Remember that time when you tried to do it several times a week or at minimum once a week and some days were better traffic days than others, and some times to publish them were better than others? Yeah, me too...

As of summer, I've been in query mode for my Viking fantasy. Will it ever take off? I don't know. I've had some promising requests, and am looking forward to finding out the end result, but like I've been told time and time again in the book writing/publishing world, time is not on your side, be patient.

Have you met me?? Patience is my nemesis. But, I will say, I'm getting better at it.

In the meantime, I'm drafting two books. The first is a YA dark fantasy that I conceptualized almost two years ago. I hit a wall with it about a quarter way in, something feeling off. I realized I needed to invest more into the secondary characters because they were the back bone of the story. Sometimes taking your concerns to another writer friend so they can offer advice is just what you need. I ended up spending the following days journaling all about each of the main/secondary characters and the dark clouds parted and the sunshine shined. Now, I can't wait to continue the story! This story has islands, anti-heroes, missions, love, and humor.

I'm also working on a YA contemporary. This one was more of a surprise. It's comedic (right up my alley), and came about when I watched my daughter at a choir concert. There's a lot more to it than that, but I literally was watching something unravel before my eyes and a story idea hit, and it hit hard. I've enjoyed working on it because it's quicker writing when you're not trying to worldbuild as much. This story has k-pop, first loves, mental illness, YouTube-ing, and lots of humor.

Oddly, both are male POV's. And oddly, I'm LOVING WRITING THEM.

OKAY, that is all! Hope everyone is enjoying the fall weather, getting cozy in their sweaters and pumpkin spice - apple spice aromas.

What are your plans for the remainder of the year? What've you been working on? 

Love your guts,

-Tammy-

Comments

Oooh.
I hope your writing projects goes gang-busters.
Spring here, with summer looming.
Good luck with the Viking fantasy! That sounds cool.
We're in the nineties right now. Really wondering where the fall weather went. (Meanwhile Colorado is to get a blizzard. A blizzard!! Our state sucks.)
Coming in for a landing on my current manuscript's first draft.
Oh, exciting! The two books you're drafting sound like a lot of fun. Love the variety between them. Best of luck with these!

And good luck with your viking fantasy, too! Will keep my fingers crossed that your queries lead to some good news, and that you won't have to wait too long for that news, either! (Patience is my nemesis, too...haha.)
Tammy Theriault said…
That's crazy. We didnt have much of a summer in WA
L. Diane Wolfe said…
DLP is looking for YA contemporary and adult fantasy. I'd be interested in the Viking fantasy story.
Nice to have a post from you again!
Glad to see you're back! I see you got a nibble- how't that for feeling good? I worked with DLP with the anthology and LOVED it. Marketing assistance, editorial input. You rock, Diane! For the record, I tried to get her to consider opening a romance line...
Tammy Theriault said…
I miss ur gloved hands. Lol
Mark said…
I often have to go back to the drawing board, but sometimes writing a new story really helps:)
Hi tammy - good to know things are progressing and yes, sometimes life is full of 'patience' ... take care and good luck - cheers Hilary

Popular Posts