A Year in the Making

Last year on January 19th, I began typing the first chapter of my YA Viking Fantasy and called the book THE KING OF DAUGHTERS.  The book was conceptualized from this photo sent to me by my sister, laughing about how this was just like us growing up.

After 3 months of drafting, it was done and edits began, then beta notes and more edits. I geared up for pitchwars, the online writing contest. I wanted to see it's potential. And I was surprised I got a few requests, even though it didn't make it in. It gave me enough to know this was something. Then, I received several requests from agents, but nothing stuck. Then came the writer's retreat where I met Jennifer Nielsen who volunteered to read my query, synopsis, and 1st chapter. She gave me incredible advice when I was at the point of really not knowing what more I could do.

Jennifer's advice forced me to cut cut cut and snip snip snip, and away I went for 2.5 months (sadly because of the holidays I couldn't go any faster). I have redone the beginning a few times. I have redone chapters, cut any purple prose I didn't notice before, tightened my writing, made my villain better, and my POV's stronger. And I couldn't have done it without my new CP who was at the same retreat and offered her help in my new goal. My friend, and ANWA buddy, Ann Acton, has been the marsh to my mallow.

On January 19th of this year, I finished my newest round of edits, and sent the remaining chapters to my CP.The name even changed a few times, ending with DAUGHTERS OF ASH, which is super relevant to the story. And I am excited! I know we have much to do, and possibly even areas to consider deleting, especially once she found out there are Valkyries in the story. Haha! But I don't know what the future will hold for this book. I don't know if it will ever get published, as I'm solely looking for traditional publishing at this time, but I'm going to keep fighting for my words to be out there and keep positive.

READING: THE LAST NAMSARA by Kristen Ciccarelli, SOULMATED by Shaila Patel, and almost done with A FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS by Julie C. Dao

FINISHED READING:  CITY OF SAINTS AND THIEVES by Natalie C. Anderson, a Congo refugee on the hunt for her mother's murderer. I read a lot, I like a lot of books, but there are a select few I will just stay up all night for...this was one of them. READ THIS BOOK!!!

Love your guts,

-Tammy-

Comments

Wow, Daughters of Ash has had quite a journey so far! (Love that title, btw!) Hope you're able to get this traditionally published after all the time and effort you've put into it. A project with this much passion behind it deserves to be out in the world!
Sounds like you've worked hard to make it the best story possible. Too bad it wasn't ready in time for #IWSGPit, but there are other pitches coming.
Natalie Aguirre said…
That is so awesome how Jennifer helped you with your manuscript. I love her as a writer. Just finished an ARC of her newest, The Traitor's Game, which was awesome. Good luck with your manuscript. You're sure working hard on it.
That first photo is so fabulous, I can well understand how it inspired you. I hope you DO find a traditional publisher for Daughters of Ash -- I'd love to read it some day!
S.P. Bowers said…
I'm intrigued. Keep writing cause I want to read it!
It's worth your time to keep at it. Keep swimming!!
I really, really hope that all your hard work is suitably rewarded. And that you find a disciminating agent and publisher.
Pat Hatt said…
Sure sounds like it will be the best story it can possibly be from thee. Like the title you decided on too.
Hi Tammy - love the inspiration for your story ... but the title is great - now all the best finding that publisher - I'm sure they are out there ... good luck and so well done to get this far - excellent - cheers Hilary
I like the title! And good for you for doing so much work, especially in terms of editing. Editing is especially tough because often I find myself wanting to keep everything. I heard the author Matthew Pearl speak once and he said he kept an extras file open when he edits, so that he can put all the material that he cuts in that file, just in case he might want to use it later.
The Silver Fox said…
Here's wishing you tons of luck, Tammy. And I love your title, too!
Mark said…
Glad that you're crafting your book just the way you want it:) As for that pic, it looks like my family (except they're red haired boys). :)
I'll be cheering for you. So much work must be rewarded.

Popular Posts