Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Logical Argument Writing

You'd think the title of this post should be "Writing Arguments", but in this case, it's not. Why? Because originally, when I drafted my MS, the argument dialogue between the husband and wife were pretty close to what I'd callously say in an attempt to get back at the MC's husband for being a jerkface. Which is ironic considering in those scenes, I wrote him that way...

Ok, let's think of it this way. When you're heated in the moment of what goes from a small misunderstanding to both sides in full argument mode, your rational brain side tends to black out and your creative side takes over with maybe some colorful choice words, insults, and odd comebacks. Look at you being creative! To the jerkface...

So there I was, locked in this dialogue and I got one beta comment of "too mean". Should I discard that comment? No! I'd already revamped my girl to be more in tune emotionally, and now to take that all away and make her a major B during fights, wouldn't make a lick of sense.

If she's going to be more sensitive to her feelings, she has to be more sensitive to the feeling of others, too. Like the jerkface...

I ended up re-writing my arguments, being careful that my girl is less of a biotch so that the reader doesn't grow to hate her even the tiniest bit because she...fights like a girl. Girl meaning immature woman. Not a jerkface...

Writing logical argument scenes, especially when your MC has a sassy comedic side, is a little harder than expected. I had to make her feel susceptible, and not be overly brassy. Brazen but not unwilling to see both sides. And that's hard because the reason people fight 80% of the time is because they feel might be think know they're right!
 
~~{{LIST OF THE WEEK}}~~

Reading now: Resist by Ilima Todd & Sunk by Jolene Perry (Male POV overload!)
Book finished: Who Do You Love by Jennifer Weiner (lovers cross paths over decades) ****stars
TV series started: Barbarian Uprising on the History Channel (IN LOVE...so me)
TV show reminisced with: Battlebots (remember that? Apparently still going strong!)
Hubs new purchase: a big truck! (finally a car on my "cars to buy" list is marked off)
Hubs is now doing: lots of favors to me (seeing as this was a bit of a blindsided purchase)

QUESTIONS TO THE READERS:
1. At what difficulty do you find it writing argument dialogues?
2. Do you tend to throw in unreasonable comebacks?
3. Ever record yourself to see how cray cray you argue when you do?

15 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Have to find the right balance and depends on the argument too, as someone who knows they are wrong, argues a different way than someone who thinks they are right. The former may just be a smart arse while the other a jerkface lol

Blogoratti said...

Those are valid thoughts that one must ponder on. Great list, and thanks for sharing!

JoJo said...

Did you ever see the King of Queens episode when Carrie has one of those 'talk into the computer' programs and she and Doug get into a wicked fight and it all gets transcribed into the computer? The next morning they read it and are horrified. It was soooo funny.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It is easy to take it just a little too far. Smart to scale back. Although yeah, in an argument, reasoning goes out the window.
Battlebots! That show is all sorts of awesome.

Mark Noce said...

Very good point. I find this is a case of truth being stranger than fiction. If you actually wrote down verbatim what an argument sounds like it would come off as unrealistic in a novel. You have to tweak it to make it "believable." Go figure:)

The Silver Fox said...

I've always been pretty good at writing dialogue, if I do say so myself, so writing arguments doesn't bother me.

S.K. Anthony said...

To be fair, when we're in the heat of the moment, those mean words can escalate rather quickly! But yes, it was kinda too mean, as much as I love both Cindy and Jax lol. Cannot wait to read what changes you made!!! So far, the revisions have been awesome!!! :D


~~~
S.K. Anthony: Barnes and Noble is Changing the Self-Publishing Game

S.P. Bowers said...

Huh, I haven't written many arguments. A few, but none of them were let go crazy. Maybe that's because I don't argue. Now I have to go think about tension and rising stakes and how arguments play into that.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I love the arguments! Because when it's between couples, they make up afterwards.

I hope she wasn't TOO nice to the jerkface.

Stephanie Faris said...

That is SO true, all of it! We forget how we really are when we argue...we have to remember that when we're writing that kind of dialogue.

M said...

Hmm. I hadn't given much thought to argument dialogue in my writing. In my forthcoming book, there are heated discussions but not flat-out arguments (that I can remember). Also, one of the main characters is super logical and somewhat emotionally repressed, so that dials back the irrational comebacks a bit.

Jemi Fraser said...

Arguments are tough! I tend to have one of my characters crossing the line and have to rewrite the sections! Someone always wants to say something that they should never, EVER say! :)

zainab sheikh said...

I've always been pretty good at writing dialogue, if I do say so myself, so writing arguments doesn't bother me.
AFL Sports news

maram said...

awesome work!!!
Latest News Updates

maram said...

I've always been pretty good at writing dialogue, if I do say so myself, so writing arguments doesn't bother me.thans
Latest Technology news