Monday, July 25, 2016

Introspective Books of Today

In the past few months, I decided it was important I take the initiative to set aside READING TIME every Monday and Tuesday no matter what. I missed reading any spare time I had. Anything I could get my grumpy small hands on. Biographies, mobster books, historical, fantasy, military... I just love(d) to read period!


Lately, my reads are books I find in the library on display, happen upon, or recommended to me. The AMAZING part is that each of my more recent reads contain very introspective characters. They don't glaze over anything or thought. They ponder it with the upmost scrutiny. Some to a page-long fault, and others, just right.

But, because of this, I've wondered how much self-analyzing does my MC have, finding hers is nothing in comparison. Which is super helpful to defining her more. So, to these books listed that I've recently read, I say THANK YOU for defining your characters more with layers of introspective writing, in turn helping me define mine more with another layer of introspective thought!




~~{{LIST OF THE WEEK}}~~

Books read: Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman (story of love and entanglement with the young Blackbeard), Resist by Ilima Todd (the finale of saving a "freedom"-less world), and Sunk: Shawn's Story by Jolene Perry (bad boy's second chance at life and love)
Book reading: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Movie watched: Pixels (second time seeing it, still as funny as the first)
Why I've been away: Family from FL came into town (always fantastic when family is around!)
What chapt I'm revising next: 20! (I have a thing for round even numbers)
How hot it's been here: 70* (the highest this week is 72*, jealous??)

QUESTIONS TO THE READER:
1) Have you read any of these books?
2) Any you've read recently with introspective characters, too?
3) Now look at me, am I introspecting you right now?


16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you got something useful for your writing out of those books. I haven't read any of them but I do know Ilima.

JoJo said...

Yes I am jealous that it's in the 70s there. We are suffering with a terrible heatwave. I hate it! right now I'm reading an autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder but I didn't realize that half the book was going to be taken up with pages and pages of footnotes.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Not read these, but I want to read Six of Crows. I've been reading adult books these days. With all my life changes, I've needed to read adult lately and it's helped me get back into my reading. So happy about that!

Pat Hatt said...

Always good when we see more indeed, can add to our feed.

Bish Denham said...

70s! How delightful. We haven't hit a 100 yet, which is a huge relief after suffering through years of drought and hitting 100+ by May. We'll take our mid-90s and be happy.

I haven't read any of those books, but I'm currently reading an autobiography about a Jewish woman who survived Nazi Germany disguised as an Aryan. It is definitely introspective.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I loved Six of Crows. The next book is coming out soon, I think. Now you have me thinking about my characters too. Mmm.

Heather R. Holden said...

OMG, 70 degrees would be so cold where I live. I'm definitely envious, haha.

And that's smart of you to set aside reading time like that. I get so busy anymore that I sometimes forget to pick up a book for weeks, LOL. And that's awesome how your latest reads have been able to help you with your own writing. Yay you!

Elephant's Child said...

Oooh. More books to tempt my weak willed self. I haven't read any of these - thank you.
I am a chronic introvert and love to see inside others heads. Mind you, of late I have been reading biographies and murder mysteries. Not a lot of introversion in either.

Mark Noce said...

Reading time is essential for sure:) If I didn't have my commute times to work I don't know when I'd get my reading in:)

The Silver Fox said...

It's in the 90s here. :(

S.K. Anthony said...

I *have* to make more time to read, I've slacked lately :( But how cool that you're getting so much out of these books? Love it. And I love the influence they've been having on your writing too <3!


S.K. Anthony: Are Audiobooks Really Outselling Print Books?

H.R. Sinclair, Southpaw said...

Yes, I'm jealous of your 70 degree weather!

Getting the introspection right for a character is tough. Too much and the reader's eyes glaze over, and then they are off skimming. Too little and often they miss it.

M said...

1. Nope.
2. Yes. I'm reading Mata Hari's Last Dance and Ink and Bone. And I recently read The Gates of Evangeline. All have a dose of introspection.
3. Probably.

The first time I sent out The Fall and Rise of Peter Stoller and then Manifesting Destiny, feedback was that the main characters, respectively, were too aloof--readers couldn't connect. So I went in and added more introspection and got a much better response (in the form of publishers accepting the work).

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Need to get back to reading Six of Crows as I want to pre-order the sequel next month. Don't have the others. Last night I read Before the Snow by Danielle Paige, a novella. I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the book Stealing Snow (a stand alone - with novellas) to come in the fall.

zainab sheikh said...

Reading time is essential for sure.If I didn't have my commute times to work I don't know when I'd get my reading..
latest news Updates

maram said...

well done!!
Latest Technology news