Monday, June 20, 2016

My Significant Writing Support

Here's a fact for ya, my husband is not a reader. In fact, in our many years of marriage, I've only seen him read one book! I was so astonished, I took a picture of it. Wanna see?

Feb 2013
I captioned it: "I think the world is coming to an end...first time I've seen my husband read a book, that wasn't about a manual for something electronic he bought! Guess he loves military books, who wld hv thought!"
 
The book was Chris Kyle's American Sniper. Am I shocked? No, not at all! Funny thing, in my MS, @PIMPBOOKMAMA, the MC's spouse comes from the "loin" of my own spouse. In it, I say something like how he would only read something if it were a how-to manual on installing a sex swing.

Sorry, did I shock you? Well, my book has some fun grit like that, and if it didn't, it wouldn't be a book I wrote.

Ok, let's baseline back to where we were. Sex swing of no importance anymore, right? So...as I was saying...while I'm in revision mode, I don't expect my hubs to raise his hand to offer his expertise. In fact, I'm sure he'll finally read it when one day (fingers crossed) it's published. And when he does, he'll look at me and say, "Is Jax me?" And then I'll say, "Order that sex swing, honey."

I'M KIDDING!!! REVERT TO BASELINE, DANG IT!! I'll just say yes...(winks)

And although he's not totally into this whole book, writer, blogger thing, I love that I can come vent to him. Yeah, sometimes he just nods, eyes glued to the TV. But other times he offers this sage advice and I think, crap... has he actually listened this whole time?? GENIUS!!! And he'll even say writer terms, and I'll be like who IS this man?

He's my Significant Writing Support. The other in my life everyday, in person, that when needed, is there. He'll love me from beginning to end, and never tell me to get over it or myself. He'll support me and always, always, take my side, no matter if I'm possibly (very rarely happens people!) wrong with my writerly opinions/emotions.

--{{LIST FOR THE WEEK}}--
 
Book almost finished: Such a Secret Place by Cortney Pearson (when you get to a climaxing end, you read slow to savor it, 90% done)
New deal tried: Taco Bell's $5 Cravings Deal (****stars, I don't like their burritos)
Best smell of the week: hubs grilling burgers (I love grilling smells!!!)
Sad moment: sister moved back to FL (jerk!!!! kidding, I'll miss her SOO much)
Best stroll down memory lane: googling KOA'S (every summer, weeks at a time, growing up)
Nervous for: My 12yr old son is going to Navy Sea Cadet Bootcamp for a week Saturday (anxiety!!!)


QUESTIONS TO THE READER:
1. Who is your significant support?
2. Ever include them IN your writing (or other projects) in some form?
3. What kind of how-to manual would YOU read? :D

**SIDENOTE: if you're interested, I'm talking about eyeliners and how to create "wings" on my group blog, the Really Real Housewives of America, this week. *Click here* to fast track to the post!


21 comments:

Heather R. Holden said...

Aw, glad your husband is such a great source of support for you, even if he is a notorious non-reader. LOL. Everyone deserves someone that supportive in their life!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I bet he'll read your book. Especially if there's a sex swing in it.
My wife is my greatest support.
Deep breath - your son will be fine.
You realize I'm going to Google sex swing at some point today...

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome your husband is such a support of your writing in his own way. Sorry your sister moved away. That must be hard.

S.P. Bowers said...

My hubby's a great support to me. He is always willing to discuss plot points and give me time to write. I'm glad you've got that support.

I remember KOAs. Ahhh, summer.


Pat Hatt said...

I've used real people, giving them a nickname, in some. Crazy works for me as I just go to it at my sea.

Bish Denham said...

Isn't it wonderful to have a supportive spouse? Mine is also, though I can get a little frustrated when he wants to tell me how to write my story! :D So far I haven't included him in anything I've written. As far as how-to manuals... how to write, how to publish etc. those have been helpful.

Chrys Fey said...

I LOVED the grit in your story. It made your story and MC. I had never read another story like it, Your voice is original. :)

Yay for your husband reading a book...that's not about installing a sex swing. I've heard American Sniper is a good book.

H.R. Sinclair, Southpaw said...

That made giggle! It's awesome he supports you even though this reading thing is meh. LOL

Boo about sister moving and yikes about kidlet going to camp--stressful.

The Silver Fox said...

My ex-fiancee was supportive in the wrong way. She never read anything I wrote, but said she knew it was good because I had written it.

She read only one book in all the time I knew her, too... and bragged that she'd never read one except that one!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My husband is my support, and bless his heart, he's read everything I've written.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

There's a book out there for everybody, I'm convinced. They just have to find it and then they'll want to read it. I think people get turned off reading by being expected to read only certain things or certain types of books.

Elephant's Child said...

My partner is not a reader. A book takes him months to read. I have told him that an intellectually challenged snail would be faster.
I wonder whether a sex swing would speed him up...

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I'm not big into how to books but one day I'm going to read something on knitting. Would like to learn how and probably don't want to watch videos with some bitch knitting a sock while I prick myself making a blood ball for the first 100 tries. So great you have that amazing significant other as writing support. Most of my writing support I have to meet online but don't cry for me Argentina. They're fantastic!

M said...

1. My husband is my significant support. He used to write, too, but didn't have the drive to stick with it. I love that he supports my work, though.

2. No.

3. The closest I've come to how-to are all my books on reading Tarot and Lenormand.

Tammy Theriault said...

Fantastic comments!! Love seeing the support!

dolorah said...

Every once in a while I think my hubs has actually been listening to me too. Scary!

Shannon Lawrence said...

My husband is also not a reader, but he does support me. In fact, he came to Denver Comic Con with me this weekend to help me lug around my books, took pictures of my first panel there, and sat behind my signing table being introduced to a bunch of people and helping me. So he rocks! Oh, and even though he doesn't read, he insists on a copy of each book I'm in, so he can keep them at work to show off. We have awesome husbands.

Loni Townsend said...

My husband won't read my books for fear that he'll hate them and make me feel bad. Yeah, he has a lot of confidence in my abilities... At least he lets me rant and encourages me to put out more books.

Stephanie Faris said...

My husband isn't a reader, either, so solidarity! He does read my blogs sometimes, though. He set it up so they come to his email. He'll come in and make a comment to let me know he read them! He's never read one of my books, though, but if you look at the covers, you'll probably see why!

Tammy Theriault said...

You guys are funny!! Squeezes!!

Nas said...

My husband is not a reader at all. He builds houses...