Monday, January 4, 2016

the Vain Writer

Let's see... how do I begin...the Vain Writer. How about a visual?

Them is this world full of sparkle and glitter. They bustle about in their elaborate clothing, holding hands with the one they love. Their hair is perfect, makeup just right, and laughter on lips. The men groomed to the chicest style. Where everyone is, they are; things come to them on a silver spoon, and the course is paved in gold, feeling automatically handed to them.

But you see, there's this wall between them and those.

Those do not have everything just right with sparkle and glitter. Their bare faces don't always shine with boisterous laughter. Sometimes their loved ones are further away, or not around at all. They work harder for what they want, turning coal to diamonds over time. However, they're humble and grateful for what is before them rather than full of envy and quick results.

There are "those" who are not willing to accept their plate, throwing it against the wall, mocking the hard work it took to make it. They see "them" and can't stop their wrath. Their jealousy. They shout deep, hard, tearfully, "Why not me? Why can't I be like THEM? IT'S NOT FAIR!" Rage oversees logic. They lock themselves away, willing their body to act like them, dress like them, talk like them, live like them, be like them!

The day comes, and a few of "those" breech the wall, walking among "them". They're so alike, no one knows the difference. Their world is now sparkly and full of glitter. Everywhere there is everyone. Fun, laughter, joy every second. Lights, cameras, adoration. It's all finally here!

the Vain Writer is born.

But...this isn't you. You are one of "those", not one of "them". You weren't meant to BE one of "them". And now, you have to work harder, so much harder than them to be them. And every time you slip up, they start to notice something is...different about you. You shout deep, hard, tearfully, "I want to be me! Myself! Why can't they love me for me?"



It shouldn't be about how one's writer course got them to where they are today, but how yours will get you to where you're going. No two roads can be the same. If you don't succeed, then try a different route, keeping the end point the same. Like I tell my kids, there are a few ways to get to one location, it's all about what road we want to take today. Be one of "those" that proves anything is possible with a little hard work, not one of "those" breeching their God given path and conforming.

Good luck out there everyone! Have some writerly fun this year without the hassle of comparing, yeah?

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!
(had to do it :)~~ )



18 comments:

JoJo said...

The same advice can be given for making crafts too. And even for photographers. It's so hard to compete.

Bish Denham said...

What a great post! Being one of "those" I not only tend to take my own route, I sometimes bring out the machete and make my own trail!

Happy New Year, Tammy!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Like that old saying goes . . . "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence because it's well fertilized with bullshit."

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We can only be the best us. Anything else is phony.

Pat Hatt said...

Very true, we each have our own road. But can I be "they" they always have the better conspiracies.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well said! I'll take my own path, thanks.

Elephant's Child said...

Excellent advice. For everything. It is a shame that one way and another too many of us feel we are not good enough. At anything.

Yolanda Renee said...

Few roads are straight - it's all about knowing where you want to go and how you want to get there, just watch out for the pot holes!

Happy New Year!

dolorah said...

Dr Seuss was such a wise man :)

Someday, I'll have an easy day - which will worry me, lol.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

No matter how many books I have published, I still feel like I'm swimming upstream all the time. We all have our own barriers and tough rows to hoe.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

If I ever become one of them, please feel free to slap the snot out of me. I want a shiny sparkly life, but not at the expense of remaining human.

And you're so right- every destination has many routes, and sometimes taking the busy highway is the most boring route- why not find your own path?

Heather R. Holden said...

Well said! I must admit, I do fall prey to envy sometimes, since it's easy to feel talentless whenever I see another artist's amazing work. It's really hard not to compare and feel like you're doing something wrong, a lot of the time!

Tara Tyler R said...

Them are the ones who have stars upon thars!

Here's to staying true - glittery and sparkly in spirit, so much it explodes!
thanks for the boost and happy new year!

Christine Rains said...

Awesome advice! I constantly tell myself no two roads are the same, and mine is the bumpy, dirty country road. Hard to drive, but dang, I wouldn't miss the journey for the world. I would shout with you at the end there, but I'm coughing like crazy. Have a marvelous 2016!

Crystal Collier said...

It's so easy to compare. Just with the IWSG competition, I have a friend in a critique group who's really discouraged she didn't get in. (While I did. You called it, woman! And thank you for your epic help!) Her response was, "I guess they didn't want fantasy." What I want to tell her, but can't because it would be coming from a winner, is that the competition was fierce and the judges aren't saying, "Your story isn't any good." If she submits the story elsewhere, she'll probably land a deal. It's so hard not to see behind the curtain sometimes.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Happy New YEAR!

WOW... this is a twist for you... NO Snark... lol... I am proud of what you said here. AND YOU couldn't be MORE RIGHT!!!!

I was one of THEM once and believe me, the glitter is not all that shiny.... Do I miss it? YOU BET! Do I want it back? At times ... yes, but mostly no. I'd just like to have the huge bucks again. LOL...

All the best for this year, Tams! You will ALWAYS SPARKLE and SHINE!

Lux G. said...

That's a great 'pep talk' to start the year.
Happy 2016!

David P. King said...

Yep. I'm one of "those," and proud of it, even some think I'm one of "them." Happy New Year, Tammy!