Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Perfection Bleeds Time

was thinking about how my newest book I'm writing is taking longer than I thought. It's an adult chick lit I began writing last year and used as an outlet for some pent up...crap I was feeling. It was completely lethargic and fun to mold this story in the direction I wished things would have gone for me.

I thought when I was done, I couldn't go back and do edits because mentally I had exhausted myself. Sometimes I found myself crying as I typed, because the feelings were raw and real. Other times, I couldn't stop crying from laughing so hard.

But, I started about two months ago into my edits and I was glad to see the story like it was new. I had only taken a week off, and that was plenty. My problem now is, it's been the season for three major holidays and some of my favorite TV series that I DVR. Again, things keeping me from editing. Have you noticed I'm not blogging as much? I'm literally trying to exhaust avenues but coming up short because:

1. I want it to be perfect (takes setting aside chunk of time)
2. you can't rush perfection or there are too many errors overlooked (need time to look closely)
3. perfect = better chance of agent getting (time consuming in itself)
4. me want agent (give it time...lots of it)

Running theme: TIME! Luckily, I know the secret to finding the time...(come close while I whisper it in your ear) SELF-CONTROL. EW! I know, I know. But...if I can't gather a little self control and turn off the cheesy reality show, or other distractions, because I don't feel like "adulting" right now, I will never get this thing done.
darn right I am and we are flying to Disneyworld!

Goal for 2016: have it to my beta peeps by...shoot far just in case...end of February. 26 chapters, 7 done so far... I can do this right??

QUESTIONS TO READERS:
1. What takes YOUR time away from stuff?
2. Do you have any goals set for 2016?
3. Can I get a little RAH-RAH cheering?? I need it...

23 comments:

JoJo said...

The internet takes my time away from stuff. I'm so addicted that I don't even want to surrender my computer for a few hours to my computer guy so he can upgrade me to windows 10. I'm like, 'I just can't be away from Facebook that long...'

David P. King said...

Sure you can do it! It's all about setting a dedicated window of time, which is why I set up a writing office in the basement with no internet. Can't leave until I reach my word count goal (or some emergency summons me out of the cave). :)

Pat Hatt said...

It will get done, just need some of that self control lol or get very very far ahead so then you can watch tv all day and no one will know the difference.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Take the holiday season off! A good long break is very refreshing and you'll get much more done afterwards. Why overburden yourself?

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tammy - my break in the summer didn't really achieve what I wanted it to achieve ... i.e. I thought I'd get lots done that I needed to do - it didn't happen .. so 'time' is not my friend once again having frittered so much away.

I guess if you take time out - make lists and get organised and be ready to go in 2016 - then things should pan out ... Now back to my list making and doing! Cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't stress the perfection part. We never achieve it.

Brandon Ax said...

I think time is always the issue. I mean for me it is kids and family in general, plus I will admit this has been a busy DVR season, lol.

I have been pretty good about writing, but hen I will have these chunks of time where I can't force myself in there.

Here's to both of us figuring it out.

Elephant's Child said...

Definite cheering from me. I am a greedy reader and I NEED writers. Lots and lots of writers. Across genres.
I could do with some self control and discipline too (but don't expect them to become happening things any time soon).

Natalie Aguirre said...

Of course you can do it. But take time off now to enjoy the holidays. We all deserve that. My life is still in transition so I'm just watching and enjoying it before I set goals for 2016.

Andrew Leon said...

I make dragons...

SA Larsenッ said...

Great way to use writing chick lit, btw. :) Oh, the ever-fleeting issue of time control. Nope. No solid answers for you other than to live each day at a time. (Haha! I know.) It's true, though. Live today to its fullest, and if that's writing a ton. Awesome. If that's writing a little, but stopping short of your goal to spend time with a friend or whatever...so be it. If I do that then I try and make up for it tomorrow, but I'm learning to go easier on myself. Well, I'm trying.

Loni Townsend said...

1. Kids!
2. To finish my darn book
3. RAH-RAH RAH-RAH RAH!

You can do it. And good job finding time wherever you can. :)

Heather R. Holden said...

Time never fails to be a tricky thing to conquer. I agree about self-control being the key to that, though. (I used to be a huge TV junkie, for example, but ended up quitting a lot of shows so I can focus on art more.) Best of luck meeting your 2016 goal! *\o/*

Melissa said...

My answer to my problem was a big fat hiatus.

ilima said...

I've been struggling to write all year but nano kicked my butt back into gear. Don't get too hard on yourself for taking breaks or going slow...we all need to sometimes.

dolorah said...

Pace yourself Tammy, you'll still get there. You have the drive. One day you will sit down and just work through it all. Great that you still love it.

Yolanda Renee said...

I'm with you, just stop the planet so I can get off for awhile, but that to do list isn't getting shorter, it's getting longer. Sometimes I just want to tear it up and paint the living room. :)
Just keep on keeping on - you'll do it!

Chrys Fey said...

I love it when a story seems new when I begin editing it.

Eliminating distractions is a big help. Just take your time, Tammy. That's the best thing to do. :)

Michelle Wallace said...

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. Somebody said this.
Onward and upward, Tam-Tam. You can do it!

M said...

1. The holidays take all my time. My oldest son's birthday is at Thanksgiving, my husband's birthday is a week after that, and we do Hanukkah AND Christmas, plus my birthday is the week before Christmas . . . And the kids all have school parties, and my husband has work events . . . Aaargh!

2. I want to revise Changers and send it to the agent who requested an R&R. Hopefully she'll take it, but if not my goal is to find an agent or publisher for it. That's #1 on my list for 2016, along with promoting the release of The Fall and Rise of Peter Stoller (out in January, folks, but you can pre-order now!).

3. RAH-RAH! RAH-RAH! It's tough for sure. I'm in the trenches with Changers, so I definitely feel your pain. But we can do it! And it will be so worth it in the end!

Stephanie Faris said...

I'm not a perfectionist...that means two things: 1) I finish first drafts quickly and 2) I spent the next year finding errors and revising! Either way, it's going to take a long time to create a good book, I figure.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Self control is indeed central. Guess we both need more, let's be SC buddies!

Mark Murata said...

Sometimes I go to a mall to write. Otherwise, I'll think of the things I need to get done around my place.