Monday, October 12, 2015

My SCARIEST Moments!!

When we think of Halloween season, we go for the ghosts, ghouls, gobblins and other things that go bump in the night or start with the letter "g". Like "Gangham Style". Yeah, that's scary!

Last night, I was daydream driving (a usual pastime) and thought of some of my most SCARIEST moments in my life. The kind that make your heart drop to your toes then sling shot back. Your palms go clammy with anxiety. And, if your bladder is full or weak...well, let's just save us some dignity on that one, shall we?



Here are my TOP 4 SCARIEST MOMENTS in the past 10 years...

1. I'm at a stop sign, ready to turn left during snow/icy roads season, but an Expedition has other ideas as it turns in my direction going way too fast, hits the curb, spins, then goes for my driver's side. My hands go up to protect my face as I scream. BOOM!! We get out and she goes hysterical as I start calls to my dad and husband because she realizes... I'm heavily pregnant. 9months along. When she says it out loud, I remember and ball like a baby. (Luckily I was ok, she was ok, and I enjoyed her insurance checks but now I'm like super overly cautious when driving on snow.)

2. I had this weird umbilical hernia. It's on your inner belly button and makes some foods no fun, or tight pants. One day, pulling a solo at work, it starts to hurt. Real bad. And it's bulging. I mean...bulging. I get faint, sweaty, and nauseous like I'm gonna pass out. Again, I start making calls to my mom and husband, and since the ER is across the street I'm gonna just walk my happy butt. Instead, I almost fall down the stairs, somehow drive across, park, admit myself, then throw up several times before I pass out on the ER bed with a hernia the size of a "broccoli head". The worst part was when I was in and out of morphine doses, I heard my husband tell our friend how scared he was. (After surgery, I was told if I'd waited any longer, I could've died. Whoa!!!)

3. I think most people have had this one, or similar. Going on the one lane highway here on the island, doing 50mph in the rain with the kids in the car, I spot up ahead a crate fallen from a truck and three cars slamming their brakes. I slam mine and do the whole screech and spin the car in a circle trick. The car was deafly silent afterwards and I was so blessed to have no one on the oncoming traffic lane going by or we would've been toast. (The kids never screamed. Have I scared them too much for them to think that's scary? Hmmmm...)

4. This one is my most recent. I was riding my Harley home, following my friend back into town on that same highway, when a city bus decides "oh, yeah! I forgot to stop!". Four cars brake quick and my motorcycle fishtails like it's been hooked, screeching, and I'm getting way too close to my friend's bumper. My mind says, "Well, this is gonna hurt and it's gonna hurt real bad." A motorcycle going by slows down to watch the show (probably to help, too, if needed). My mind then says, "Let go!". I look at my hands and let go of the shift & brake lever. My foot lets go of the foot brake and I stop in time. Safely. My friend shakes her head in disbelief. (Talk about angels, the next car passing by...an ambulance. Cue twilight show music)



QUESTION TO THE READERS:
1. What are some of YOUR scariest moments?
2. Are you like me and call the person in your family you feel is the right one for the moment?
3. Ever lose your bladder in those moments? Don't answer that if you want to save your dignity!!

19 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

My scariest moments were health crisis' I went through with my husband. The worst was the last one when he died. I won't go into all the details here. It was scary and heartbreaking.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You were lucky with that hernia!
Notice how three of your scariest moments involved a vehicle? That should tell you something. Yeah, never drive or ride again.
Mine was hitting a section of highway covered in water and my sports car losing control and racing across the lanes. Fortunately, I turned the wheels the correct direction and stopped before sliding into the ditch.

Heather R. Holden said...

Oh, yikes! You weren't kidding about those scary moments being...well, scary! I've dealt with some frightening things before, but never at that level, I don't think. (Yet. Heh.)

Pat Hatt said...

Yikes to the hernia. You may want to wear boy armor when driving from now on haha I've never had anything like that. I've had some stupid things I've done that I think back now and wonder how I survived though haha

Mark Means said...

Wow, glad you made it through all of those incidents!

One of my scariest moments involved snow, as well. Driving across a snow covered, steel, bridge from downtown Cincinnati to Northern Kentucky that veered left as it got into the Bluegrass State. I was going (I realized later) too fast and turned the wheel left, as I had done numerous times in the past, only to find that I continued to keep going straight....right towards the cement guard rail. Thankfully, the tires caught the cement road as I came off the steel and the car righted itself before collision.

It's one I'll never forget.

Elephant's Child said...

My partner's health issues have been the scariest.
And the time when we were riding home one night. I was pillion, and had gone to sleep. He woke me slamming on the brakes. On a narrow bridge. A cow had wandered onto the bridge. And then on to the other side, where it was hit by a car coming towards us. Which was hit by two more. We were so close that we were both covered in bits of cow. If either the cow or the cars had come onto our side of the road we had nowhere to go...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

All my scariest were with my kids. My oldest son once passed out and stopped breathing for a moment. My middle son was riding in a friend's car and they were hit by a drunk driver. My youngest son ran his sled headfirst into a lilac bush. Lots and lots of blood and seven stitches. Then when my daughter was in Morocco and we lost contact for almost five days because she was without internet. Scary.

Yvonne Ventresca said...

Reading this post made me nervous about driving today! Yikes!

Yolanda Renee said...

My heart attack was the scariest moment for me. I was sweeping the garage, suddenly I couldn't breathe, I handed the broom to my son and tried to walk into the house, but couldn't do to the pain. I sat down on the weight bench and tried to calmly let my boys know I was in trouble. I told one son to get his father and dial 911, and asked the other son to get my nitro and aspirin. They moved, my husband, who'd been awakened from his nap, came out and with hands on his hips said. "NOW WHAT?"
I said I'm having a heart attack, can you spare a moment. LOL
Even then we managed to act like an old married couple.

Tammy Theriault said...

These are definitely some SCARY moments!! GEESH!!

JoJo said...

Hmm. Let's see. Well one time my bff & I had climbed down on some cliffs to see ancient Native American petroglyphs at Frye's Leap on Sebago Lake in Maine. When we went to climb back up, we realized that it was too high to get back up cause we'd jumped down. No one knew we were there, it was October so not a lot of people or boaters around. It was a nice day, but nights were freezing and it was late afternoon. We were terrified. Somehow she managed to get back up where we came from but being 5" shorter than her, I just couldn't do it. I told her to just go get help. She took off her her jacket and fed the sleeve down to me, and I think sheer adrenaline enabled her to pull me up high enough that I could get a foothold. Which I promptly slipped out of on the first try and was dangling over the high lake & rocks. But she got me up on the second try. I think we cried.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Great idea to do the scariest moments! Good thing you're a quick thinker. These were some close calls.

Since these were car related, they made me think of fall last year. I was driving down a mountain highway here, on the way back from a mine tour in Cripple Creek. My sister's in the passenger seat, my two kids and nephew in the back. It's raining. Suddenly, the car is gliding, hydroplaning, right toward a steep drop off. I was amazingly calm, despite having no control over the car. I lightened my press on the gas and steered into it (something your body screams against in the middle of sliding), saying out of the corner of my mouth to my sister, "We're hydroplaning and I have absolutely no control over the car right now." She looked back at the kids to be sure they were buckled in (they hadn't heard) and braced herself. Right as we got to the drop off, my tires gained traction and I was able to turn the wheel to get us back in the lane.

Talk about adrenaline! This all unfolded in a matter of seconds, but it seemed to go in slow motion. (This is the same road my husband, cousin, and I were in a deadly wreck on just over a decade ago, so it's a tense road for me, anyway.)

Christine Rains said...

Yikes! Those are scary moments. My most recent scary one is last year when I broke my wrist while walking in a rocky creek with my son. We were the only ones out there. I fell and held out my other arm to prevent him from falling. At first I couldn't get up because I didn't understand why my arm wasn't supporting me. Then I nearly fainted. In the knee deep creek. With a four year old. I could have drowned. I sat down, breathed through it, got that survival tunnel vision, and walked out of the creek leading a child and up 125 stairs to the car to call my husband.

Bish Denham said...

Those are some scary moments! I'm glad you survived them all!

One of mine happened when I was 10 or 11 years old. My cousin and I were walking back to his house and passed a large clump of creaking bamboo. That isn't unusual as bamboo creaks all the time. The thing was there was no wind, no breeze. It was a terribly still, hot, humid tropical day in Puerto Rico. Earlier in the day we'd learned that a prisoner had escaped from a prison not too far away. Well, our brains went to work. We were absolutely sure that prisoner was in the bamboo making it creak. We ran home faster than two greyhounds, locked ourselves in the house (nobody else was home) and huddled in fear. Thing is... several hours later once everyone was home, guess where that prisoner was found? Yup... in that big clump of bamboo.

Southpaw HR Sinclair said...

Yikes. Those are all scary--the hernia, the 9 month pregnant accident. I'm glad you came though them all.

Tammy Theriault said...

GASP! You guys makes mine look tame!

Libby said...

The hernia is unbelievable! They're all scary but I think that one's sticking with me.

I've never lost my bladder, but who's to say what will happen in the future?

Nas said...

My scariest when recently my husband had a health scare.

Tara Tyler R said...

just the thought of riding a harley scares me - nuh uh!

thanks again for coming to the RRHA and sharing your fun halloween posts! really enjoyed them!

and thanks for stopping by my simulation release tour too!