Last night, I was daydream driving (a usual pastime) and thought of some of my most SCARIEST moments in my life. The kind that make your heart drop to your toes then sling shot back. Your palms go clammy with anxiety. And, if your bladder is full or weak...well, let's just save us some dignity on that one, shall we?
Here are my TOP 4 SCARIEST MOMENTS in the past 10 years...
1. I'm at a stop sign, ready to turn left during snow/icy roads season, but an Expedition has other ideas as it turns in my direction going way too fast, hits the curb, spins, then goes for my driver's side. My hands go up to protect my face as I scream. BOOM!! We get out and she goes hysterical as I start calls to my dad and husband because she realizes... I'm heavily pregnant. 9months along. When she says it out loud, I remember and ball like a baby. (Luckily I was ok, she was ok, and I enjoyed her insurance checks but now I'm like super overly cautious when driving on snow.)
2. I had this weird umbilical hernia. It's on your inner belly button and makes some foods no fun, or tight pants. One day, pulling a solo at work, it starts to hurt. Real bad. And it's bulging. I mean...bulging. I get faint, sweaty, and nauseous like I'm gonna pass out. Again, I start making calls to my mom and husband, and since the ER is across the street I'm gonna just walk my happy butt. Instead, I almost fall down the stairs, somehow drive across, park, admit myself, then throw up several times before I pass out on the ER bed with a hernia the size of a "broccoli head". The worst part was when I was in and out of morphine doses, I heard my husband tell our friend how scared he was. (After surgery, I was told if I'd waited any longer, I could've died. Whoa!!!)
3. I think most people have had this one, or similar. Going on the one lane highway here on the island, doing 50mph in the rain with the kids in the car, I spot up ahead a crate fallen from a truck and three cars slamming their brakes. I slam mine and do the whole screech and spin the car in a circle trick. The car was deafly silent afterwards and I was so blessed to have no one on the oncoming traffic lane going by or we would've been toast. (The kids never screamed. Have I scared them too much for them to think that's scary? Hmmmm...)
4. This one is my most recent. I was riding my Harley home, following my friend back into town on that same highway, when a city bus decides "oh, yeah! I forgot to stop!". Four cars brake quick and my motorcycle fishtails like it's been hooked, screeching, and I'm getting way too close to my friend's bumper. My mind says, "Well, this is gonna hurt and it's gonna hurt real bad." A motorcycle going by slows down to watch the show (probably to help, too, if needed). My mind then says, "Let go!". I look at my hands and let go of the shift & brake lever. My foot lets go of the foot brake and I stop in time. Safely. My friend shakes her head in disbelief. (Talk about angels, the next car passing by...an ambulance. Cue twilight show music)
QUESTION TO THE READERS:
1. What are some of YOUR scariest moments?
2. Are you like me and call the person in your family you feel is the right one for the moment?
3. Ever lose your bladder in those moments? Don't answer that if you want to save your dignity!!