Monday, September 28, 2015

MY So-Called Life...

I happened upon a show last night called, "My So-Called Life", with Claire Danes and Jared Leto. Remember that?
I watched two episodes, and flashbacks ran wilder than a drunk nudist on a beach. Here's the thing, my memory of that show is a memory of what used to be my HS BFF. Used to be because when she saw me chatting with her crush she went all bonkers but wouldn't tell me why. (I ended up finding out why years later. Ain't that petty?) She had it out for me after that, to the point where she put secret admire love notes in my locker as a joke (our mutual friend disclosed the source), and told some goth girl I wanted to fight her. (No fight ever happened, however, the goth girl did approach me but I cleared that crap up quick.)

We never talked again, and oddly enough weren't in a class together until our senior year. We sat on opposite sides of the room, and didn't dare look at one another. She also changed big time by imitating Rayanne, the best friend to Angela (Claire Danes), from the personality to the clothes. It got to the point she had just a handful of friends left...and by that I mean one hand. Not two. As for me, I was focused on soccer and boyfriends. Basically, I was too busy living this thing called my so-called life.

Since I've "aged" like fine wine and smelly cheese, I really don't take kindly to petty crap, nor do I have time for it. And just like in HS, if someone wants to be petty over something and go all drastic drama stupid, then so be it. Do what you gotta do; because at the end of MY day--I know who I am and I've been me from the start. I won't pretend to be somebody I'm not because hell, I'm somebody right now, baby. Somebody to my family, truest friends, and God. Whoa..who brought out the soap box? Put that thing away; you know what it does to me!

A close friend said, "You are the keeper of your feelings and emotions. No one can ever take that away from you because no one can make you feel or do anything...only you have that power."
BOOM! Isn't she awesome?!?!

I've friends, writer and non, who've told me some pretty crappy stories that have happened to them by their supposed friends. I can include some in there, too. And it's sad. Best thing is to apply this wonderful miracle cream called Take The High Road. Ever heard of it? It does wonders for your stress lines, blood pressure, and prevents ulcers. Kid...you...not. And once you've applied said cream, we can all get back to our so-called lives.



QUESTIONS TO THE READER:
1. Did you ever lose a friend over something stupid in HS?
2. Has that helped you to grow & change?
3. Don't you wish some people would put their adult undies on? If so, what color would they be?





23 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

So sad about your friend and you. But it sounds like you handled it well. I've drifted away from friends over petty things, especially in college. Now I'm more mature and my friends are too, and I really just value my friendship.

Heather R. Holden said...

Oh, what a great post! I agree, it's best to take the high road, even though that can be easier said than done sometimes. There'd probably be far less drama in the world if more people took the time to emulate this mindset of yours...

JoJo said...

Friendships come and go. I don't remember any major fallings out w/ friends in high school or college. There were sometimes when one or two would stop talking to me for reasons unknown and then next thing you know they are my friends again. Teen girl drama crap. I've drifted away from people too...esp. after Jerry Garcia died. The Grateful Dead was the glue that held a lot of those friendships together and w/o further shows to attend, we realized we didn't have anything else in common.

Stephanie Faris said...

OH wow...I'm so sorry! My So-Called Life was slightly after my h.s. time (I was in my mid-20s by then) but I loved that show so much, I joined the fight to save it. It was slightly pre-Internet, so I wrote letters and made a flyer...but I had no idea what to do with the flyer. I was determined. Turned out, the show gained an audience in reruns on MTV over that summer and they thought about bringing it back but Claire Danes said no because her film career was heating up! I had no idea. Anyway...I lost almost all of my h.s. friends over the course of h.s.--most of them started doing drugs, sadly. It may have been pot, I don't know--they just assumed I wouldn't fit in with them after they started doing that because I was a goody two-shoes. So I had to make new friends every few months. I DID have a friend who called a guy I had a crush on to let him know and, get this...she started dating him. I guess she never told him I had a crush on him! I tried staying friends with her but every time she'd gush about her boyfriend (whom she NEVER saw because he was home schooled and couldn't date), I felt a little ill. He dumped her soon after.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Adult undies are white granny panties -- everyone knows that! It's why so few want to wear them.

Pat Hatt said...

Yep, no time for the petty crap or those that are all "look at me look at me" pffft to keeping up with the Jones's. They have so much debt that they can't afford adult undies.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well said! That's why I'm glad I no longer deal with high school drama.
Dig that quote from Olsteen.

Bish Denham said...

Yes, I've had a couple of close friends who whacked me over the head/stabbed me in the back/betrayed me... Luckily I figured out how to forgive them.
1) What they did, is on them. How I react is on me.
2) Why give them room in my head rent free when I suspect they aren't giving me a second of their time?
3) They are human beings who are suffering (like we all are) it's doesn't hurt me to be compassionate because I can never know what their motivations/reasons are for being the kind of person they are.
4) In the long run it's easier to feel sorry for them, to pity them, to forgive them than it is to let hate and anger eat at my heart and soul which would turn me into something like themselves.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

My life is pretty drama free and always has been. As a high school teacher, I always try to tell my students no one can 'make' them feel an emotion. They chose to feel angry or sad though it's not easy to decide not to be those things. Those teenage years can be so full of angst. When adults act like teenagers, I just get disgusted.
As a mother, I've tried to help my own children be comfortable enough in their own skin that other's opinion don't matter. It mostly works but there have been a few tough times.

Chrys Fey said...

Ha! I love your attitude in this post and couldn't agree more. What happened between you and your BFF sounds pretty similar to what happened between me and my BFF. We didn't talk for years then re-connected. Now it seems she only wants to be friends when it suits her, but I have no time for that! ;)

S.K. Anthony said...

I love this post! I always say we have the power to DECIDE if we want to be happy/avoid stress. Sure, sometimes there are things out of our control, but guess what? We still can brood and cry if we have to, but then? We choose a path/solution/way and carry on. Not happy with something? Find a solution. But things like this? Petty friends? Pffft, you totally did the right thing! I can't say whether or not I've had issues, because honestly I don't remember. I choose not to give them power, like you said. I focus on the good and I move on . . . with my granny undies, because for some reason that's what I see as a "I handle life well undies" LOL

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Your friend was right. No one can make you feel anything. If they do, they have power over you. Only you can determine how you feel.

Negative people like that just need to be purged from our lives.

Elephant's Child said...

You have nailed it. It is one of the reasons I am glad not to be a teenager, and why I wouldn't go through it again (assuming a time-warp) willingly for anyone.
I have lost friends as an adult. It has made me sad, and in some cases still makes me sad, but I have let them go without doubting my sense of self.

Tammy Theriault said...

You guys...seriously...amazing ;)

Melissa said...

I never really had friends in HS.

I'm old enough to have weeded out the childish, petty ones. Life's too short for that nonsense.
*unfriend* *block* *delete*

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I was happy to leave high school and never intend to return. Life's too short for drama. Unless it's in a book...

David P. King said...

Amazing how relationships can get all stick when someone gets a little jelly (or in this case, massive case loads of jelly). No one does the soap box like you do (that's a compliment, btw). :)

Crystal Collier said...

If there was any of that stuff in high school, I've blocked it out. I do remember some petty college roommates though. This life is too short to be mean.

M said...

1. I didn't really have friends in HS, so . . . No.
2. n/a
3. Adult undies are black and lacy!

Yolanda Renee said...

Too much trauma in my teen years to worry about friends. But yeah, the high road is the best way to go!

Lux G. said...

Gosh this brings back so many memories. Memories from watching the show and my own so-called life itself.

Lux G. said...

Gosh this brings back so many memories. Memories from watching the show and my own so-called life itself.

Lux G. said...

Gosh this brings back so many memories. Memories from watching the show and my own so-called life itself.