Wednesday, November 5, 2014

IWSG: Reviving Blogging

 
Operator: This is 911
Tammy: Yes, I'd like to make a report.
Operator: What seems to be the situation, ma'am?
Tammy: *breaths heavy* I, um, opened my blogger and, um...
Operator: Ma'am, are you alone?
Tammy: Yes.
Operator: Okay, just start over and calmly tell me what happened.
Tammy: *takes deep breath* I opened my blogger and NO ONES BLOGGING ANYMORE!! Oh my gosh! Please help me! Help me!
Operator: Ma'am, you're not the only one calling about this...

ENTERS JOHN WALSH...
"A tragedy has set here in Bloggerville. Many are outraged, wondering where the bloggers have gone. Why less writers are posting. And most importantly, where all the awards, bloghops/fests have vanished to. Here are our five top MOST WANTED reasons of why the epidemic."
 
1. SALES!
Everyone wants to get their book out in the crowd. And with more Indie writers blossoming, books are hitting the pavement faster then a $2 hooker, and on everyone's posts.
Remedy: If you're going to promote, promote with spunk, snazz, pazzaz, bazzaz! Make it fun, and not lengthy!
 
2. TIME!
We work, we child-rear, we cook, we pretend to be on the toilet but really reading; the list is endless. So where does the time go?
Remedy: No one said we wanted a blog novel. Just touch base and say what's going on in your world. Sometimes we just want to know you're still breathing...and not on a ventilator.

3. CONTENT!
But, oh! What will I write? I have nothing to say.
Remedy: pffft...that book you just read and hated, you could have told me so we didn't waste our time! That little sales trick you just learned, share it fool! The movie you're stoked to watch, hey! Maybe we are too! Stop being so uptight and RELAX!! We don't need your sophisticated talk on writing all the time.

4. NO BLOGGING BRA EXTENSIONS!
Some bloggers are too clicky, only commenting on their fav circle of writers. Or only comment back on certain people. Cold shoulders unite!
Remedy: Have we forgotten how much we should support one another? Other then in book sales? Imagine your blog like a house, invite some biznitches over!! Talk about bloggers, meet bloggers, get out there and swing like two couples completely drunk and vulnerable! End writer clicks!

5. NO PARTY INVITES!
No one invited you to the party? Oh! That's because they're a rare commodity these days. Mep.
Remedy: Get out there and blog hop/fest and hand out awards to you're hearts content! Why not? Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! That was how we met people, how we all did something awesome on one particular day and boasted about it...like on our sidebars! Or got a cool award and bragged about it because awards are fun! Make up this crap again, people!

ENTERS JOHN WALSH...
"We can only hope that viewers everywhere will blog again. We are looking, and always on the hunt for new information from bloggers. Be it for entertainment or just journaling your day on writing. Even down to a good ol' interview for fun. Get out there everyone and blog!" 

32 comments:

SA Larsenッ said...

Haha! #snort

This was awesome. I love your humor approach with it, but you've also including so much truth. I know I've had to slow down my blogging and I don't like it. I miss everyone. I'm at a place where I need to revamp my blogging and idea of posting. I'd rather post less often, but offer up better content. I'm working on that right now. Thanks for this great reminder. #bloggingrules

Al Diaz said...

Your posts are always funny but this is one of the best. Thanks for the morning smile. Dragon Hugs. Dwarves send you kissy wissy.

JoJo said...

Well I still enjoy blogging and will continue to do it. I have a few friends and family who aren't on FB so they check in w/ me by way of the blogs. Some of my FB friends read it too. I have noticed that I am not getting a lot of reciprocal comments though which is kinda distressing.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

No blog novels - LOL! That's right, we don't want thousands of words to read.

Cherie Reich said...

LOL! I do love blogging, even though I've cut down to once a week (in general). My blog is about the only place in social media I feel comfortable posting.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Get out there and make it happen! And today is the best day to do it.

The Silver Fox said...

I feel guilty reading all these "author blogs." That's not what mine is, so I never promote my own writing or that of others. Wonder how I got involved with all these talented authors! :)

Connie Keller said...

I've really cut back on blogging too. I'm burned out and so busy. But you're right, I just need to do it.

Pat Hatt said...

Being 180 posts ahead, I can sit back and hop everywhere haha the cat does much and will continue to do so indeed.

David P. King said...

This is the exact same topic I blogged about today. Something must be in the blogging waters. I loved the funny spin on this, though. :)

S.K. Anthony said...

Ughh! What is it with the blogging world lately? Oh, well I guess you just answered it o_O lol But I agree, these are true, and yes America get out there blog....gosh! Umm, I guess I could try harder too, ahem.

S.K. Anthony: My Writing Quirks—IWSG (16)

Chrys Fey said...

This was awesome! I've noticed many changes in the blogging world lately and one is that bloggers are commenting back or returning follows like they once did. This is disappointing. I've actually been blogging more lately, though, and will be upping my posts to three times a week next year. :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Great post! It's true that blogging is a dying art. People have moved on to social media that doesn't require so much time or effort. Some of us stubborn ones are still hanging around though.

Andrew Leon said...

Well, I've been blogging. I don't know where you've been. :P

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

And you followed all your own advice! Perfect. Book promotions do need to be shorter or readers just skim them any way.

Elephant's Child said...

'Get out there America and blog!'

Just America? If I was a sensitive soul I would be feeling slighted here. I do love the inclusion and the warmth and the wonder of the blogosphere. Education/temptation/humour and delight. With some tears thrown in.

M Pax said...

I only blog once a week now. I jumped off the hop/award bandwagon awhile ago. So I'm OK with less of those.

Denise Covey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise Covey said...

Not just America. I love that blogging has open borders. Blogging, like publishing is needing to find itself. Those innocent days of giving/receiving awards and dreaming of publication have turned into a frenzy of 'buy my book'. We need to find a more imaginative way of getting our books out there as we're turning readers off.

dolorah said...

The circles are always turning, recycling. When I was new, I learned from the bloggers that had been here a while that blogging is always on the up and down.

I liked this rundown though. Very encouraging.

Tammy Theriault said...

love all the comments! you guys are amazing :D

Trisha F said...

My general aim is to visit those who leave me comments, but in blogfests I also try to visit everyone on the list. But I often admit defeat in all those areas. I also have a blog roll I try to keep an eye on, but lately I'm finding it hard to find the time!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tammy - fun way to set the record straight .. we all have our ways don't we ... and I'm delighted that people blog and continue ... even if occasionally ...

Good to see you ... and as Denise mentions - it's lovely being able to 'meet' so many friends across the blogosphere ... cheers Hilary

Suzi said...

I'm still here. *raises hand* :)

When I used to open my Feedly Monday mornings there was an overwhelming amount of blogs. Not so much now. Makes it easier to get around to more blogs, I guess. :)

Melissa said...

Love the post, the sentiment, and the new header. :)

Sheena-kay Graham said...

(Flips hair back) Of course darling. Ha, anyway blogging needs to be fun for me to do it and I'm having loads. I have learned whether I blog once, three or five times a week it's good to let others know you're still around. Plus I get time to blog depending on the computer I have access to. Yesterday I was stuck with dumber than Uncle Grandpa cartoon computer so I couldn't get my commenting much beyond two bloggers and responding on my own page. Today I'm happy to say...I snagged the laptop my mother left behind this week and currently sneaking time on a computer that actually works to make up for my commenting absence. And watch Once Uopn a Time episode 6. Priorities.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

You said it chick!!! I've said forever that people need to learn to have fun with the blogs. It doesn't have to be profound. I mean if it did, I'd been out a long time ago. Do what you can, when you can, and remember it's the relationships that matter. Not the numbers. I'll take a few good friends over a hundred phonies any day.

Rena said...

Excellent points all around! And yeah, I've been hearing a lot about how blogging is dead. I guess we need to revive it, stat!

Kristin Smith said...

Hahaha!! This is the most awesome post I've read in quite some time! And it really does give me a kick in the rear because that's me! Sometimes I don't post because I feel like I have nothing to say that might be worth reading, but you're right! I don't have to give fifty awesome tips on how to write a novel, I just have to "show up" and sometimes, that's enough. Great post, Tammy! And thanks for the laughs! :)

Stephanie Faris said...

Great points! I think people who didn't really care for writing moved to social media. It's just easier for them. So mostly people blog to promote their books or swap recipes and such. Most of the marketing firms I write for are VERY into blogs for their clients, though. It's a great way to increase search engine visibility and network with others in their industries. SO for building your writing brand online, a good publicist will likely recommend it, as long as you enjoy doing it.

Christine Rains said...

*LOL* Love it. So true. Blog with jazz! Why am I sober and yet I feel like having a drunken blog fling?

The Happy Whisk said...

This is a funny post. Good stuff. Well-written and again, funny.

For me, I've increased my blogging this year and am thinking about jumping to G+. We'll see on that one though, been saying it, but haven't done it yet.

Next on my list, next on my list. But first, I have a nice cuppa coconut coffee with my name on it.

Off to rest my leg. Cheers and boogie boogie.