Tuesday, November 12, 2013

3 Question Quickie with Jay Noel & Crystal Collier

Don't you just love a blurb quickie into the author's mind? Me, too! So, let's get rolling...

JAY NOEL - author of Dragonfly Warrior
release date: January 6, 2014
*goodreads*facebook*twitter*

1. What is the best snack I should have on hand while reading Dragonfly Warrior?

Something crunchy. Like pretzels or potato chips. My book is action packed with some pretty intense stuff. So you're going to need an outlet for your deep seated aggression bubbling to the surface. Plus the salt content will keep your electrolytes up.

 
2. If I were to dress up for the read, any suggestions?
Despite my book being steampunk, I actually don't recommend the ladies wear a corset or the guys wear a frock coat. You won't be too comfortable, and you've gotta be comfy when you read. So you all should wear what I wear when I'm reading: a robe. And be nekkid underneath. If you really want to be thematic, since my book takes place in an alternative Japan, you can wear a kimono. But the nekkid-ness is a requirement.

3. Reenacting scenes are fun. Any special weapons I should purchase?
Despite owning a $2 million umbrella insurance policy, I don't want to be held liable for any damage you might cause your loved ones or antiques you could damage. But if you're up to living dangerously, one of those foam swimming noodles are awesome. You can use one long one for your samurai sword. Just make sure you let out a huge "kiai" shout with every move to increase the authenticity factor.

Thanks for stopping by Jay. Good luck!!


Crystal Collier - author of Moonless
release date: November 13, 2013
*goodreads*facebook*twitter*

1. What cheese goes best with the story progressions in Moonless?
The best cheese for Moonless is probably Jarlsberg. (And not just because it’s what I’m craving lately, although it could be that too.) With a milder bite than Swiss (for action and suspense), it’s well aged and holed with mystery. It’s slightly sweet, for romance, and somewhat nutty for the unexpected.

2. When I envision the cheese/character resemblances, I imagine Alexia as Swiss (smells unattractive but a unique & interesting "life", much like when the nights are moonless). What would you say Kiren & Bellezza's cheese resemblances are?
What a great description, although my son says Alexia is more like Parmesan. (According to him, Parmesan goes with just about anything, even cereal… We may have some issues to work through in our household.) For Kiren, Roquefort, the king of cheeses—a blend of flavors that start mild, then sweet, then smoky, with a salty finish. Jaded by inner demons, he is so much deeper than what can be seen. For Bellezza, Feta. Aggressive. A grainy texture. To gain its taste, feta is submerged in brine—the same way pickles are created. Bellezza is a subject of deep submersion in adverse circumstances. Tasty, but dangerous. You never know what you’re going to get with her.

3. How many times in Moonless did you mention cheese, your true passion?
First of all, let’s set one thing straight: cheese = happiness, so in that regard, there are occasional snatches of cheese between the traumatizing crazy of world-altering explosiveness.
*deep breath* 
Alas, cheese is never mentioned directly in Moonless. (I KNOW—how is that possible?) The humor is rather subdued, although there are little incidents like one character calling Kiren “delicious,” and someone accusing Alexia of being a “bottle-wielding pygmy”. Moonless is a milder brand of cheese.

Thank you for stopping by Crystal. Good luck!! Sign up for the rafflecopter below.

a Rafflecopter giveaway
Do you think YOU'LL be reading "nekkid" with a tray full of cheese?

29 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cheese is happiness - I'll have to remember that!
Read naked. I can do that...

Dana said...

What fun interviews! I have to agree with Crystal's son: Parmesan does go with everything! And for Jay's book, I'm off to buy a pool noodle now. :)

Have a great Tuesday!

Pat Hatt said...

Those foam noodles hurt a ton when whacked with them and their wet, but less than a sword I bet

Jay Noel said...

That was so much fun. But now I want to try Jarlsberg cheese.

DAVID WALSTON said...

Great questions, now I want chips and cheese!

Andrew Leon said...

If we're Moonless, there is no cheese, anyway.

Christine Monson said...

Cheese this post was funny, Crystal. =D

Beverly Fox said...

BOTH of these brough huge smiles to may face. Congrats to both of you and I wish you all the good fortune in the world for the success of two trully lovable books!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Why Jay, I do believe you're just trying to get us nekked!

And Crystal, you must come to our Amish country. I know a cheese store where the sample line sankes all around the store and takes an hour...there is a lot of cheese to taste! All home made and delicious!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Nekked and cheese should never be used in the same sentence ;)

S.P. Bowers said...

I don't even want to think what would happen if I handed my four year old a pool noodle and told him to be a ninja.

Darn. I'm fresh out of Jarlsberg. Actually the other day hubby mentioned we were getting low on cheese. I ran to the fridge and found he was right. We were down to five different kinds. I rectified that immediately!

Lexa Cain said...

Jay totally cracked me up! He's so funny!

Crystal did great with the cheese smorgasbord analogy. (I don't consider feta grainy though...but I defer to the cheese queen.)

Great idea for a post, Tammy! :-)

Crystal Collier said...

Tammy, you make one stellar hostess! Thank you.

Pool noodles and reading in the buff... That's got party written all over it--but not without the cheese.

Long live the cheese!

Chris Fries said...

Great interviews!

Nekkid, pretzle-snacking, pool-noodle-katana-waving reading is the best! Although it did get me kicked out of a couple of book clubs...

And Crystal proves that a cheese-filled novel is NOT the same as a cheesy one!

Remembering Grace said...

GREAT questions - best interviews I've read so far today, LOL.
So, yeah, now I know the essentials for reading, especially if it's Jay's or Crystal's books!

Heather Holden said...

Ooh, these little interviews are so fun! I'm not surprised at all that Crystal got a bunch of cheese questions, heh. I am surprised that her book doesn't mention cheese at all, though! *gasp* ;)

klahanie said...

Hey Tam-bare,

Such a crunchy interview with Jay. And Jay, once again, I've been sharing the info about your upcoming book. Even on Farcebook! :)

And there's Crystal. Moonless and cheese, Yes, please, cheese. And no, I promise not to go into cheese pun overdrive. So for Feta or worse, I thank you for being so thoughtful to highlight these amazing folks.

You are very welcome for my comment.

Gary :)

Leandra Wallace said...

Cheese and nekkidness...oh my. Lol! Great interview and super fun!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

But I want a reason to dress in steampunk style and eat cheese and pretzels.

Neurotic Workaholic said...

See, now I want cheese, and also pickles, since they were mentioned too. And I'd rather wear the frock coat than the corset, even though I am a girl.

Mark Koopmans said...

What if I read both books at the same time?

I'll be eating cheese while nekkid.

Edam, I could get into a gouda lot of trouble...

Julie Flanders said...

LOL now I want to munch on cheese and wear a robe with nothing underneath while reading both books. Fun post and congrats to Jay and Crystal!

Morgan said...

Laughing at Jay's answers! And totally loving Crystal's cheese = Happiness. I definitely agree. :)

Really fun, Tammy, as always. You are the queen of fun! :)

Tammy Theriault said...

A BIG FAT CHEESY NEKKID THANK YOU to all those supporting Crystal and Jay!!

Medeia Sharif said...

Let's all wear robes and be in a reading room surrounded by huge blocks of cheese and these great reads.

Michelle Wallace said...

Tammy, we can count on you to always provide an entertaining interview!
I have a new respect for those foam swimming noodles and I'll never look at a tray full of cheese in quite the same way... LOL
Writer In Transit

Charlie Holmberg said...

Naked. Cheese. Books. Got it. ;)

Elise Fallson said...

These are two books I can't wait to read! Besides, you can't go wrong reading naked while eating cheese. I do it all the time. True story.

Christine Rains said...

I smelled the cheese and here I am. Hmm, that could be taken several ways. Great quickies! :)