Monday, July 29, 2013

Friday Night Alibi Tour Stop: I'm a Reject!

Oh, no! Not the "R" word!!
Yep, I said it...REJECT!
It is the cake. But guess what tops that gooberly-dark chocolately-yummily cake?
Layers & layers of the other "R" word: REQUESTS!!
Put it all together, & and you can take your cake & eat it, too!
The writing world's RECIPE FOR SUCCESS!!
Cassie...why don't you tell the good people how you cooked up what made the sugary  "R&R" cake we now call :
"FRIDAY NIGHT ALIBI"
A BIG THANK YOU to Tammy!!!!
I’m here to bore you all with my publishing story. Ha! Nah, I’ll try to keep you all entertained. It all started when I first picked up a pen…
Hehe, I kid. I actually started writing in 2011. Ah, those were the days. Back when I had no clue what a WIP was, or CP, or YA or NA or MG. Back when I wrote a 500 page novel and thought it was instant bestseller material. I’m talking the next best thing to Twilight people. Twas amazingness!

After about 120 rejections from agents, (after finding out what an agent was) I dove into blogging, and found out… holy crap, I know nothing. What is this show not tell stuff? And adverbs… what’s an adverb again? What the heck does it mean when they say give my character voice? I mean, they have dialogue! Ah, so this is why I barely passed creative writing in high school. I have no clue what I’m doing. But I love to write. I LOVE IT! So, I must learn.

Two books later, I got my very first request from an agent. I cried. I admit it. I bawled my eyes out, got down on my knees and thanked the high heavens THIS had happened. Then I got more requests… more, more, more! Holy crappit!
Then came the rejections… more, more, more. Holy crappit.
After three R&R’s (revise and resubmit), I’d completely rewritten the whole book. I mean, trashed first draft and wrote new words. And it got me my agent. (Brittany Booker, who is amazing!) I thought, holy yayness! This is it! I’m getting published! No.
This means submission time. Which means more requests, more rejections, lots of Mountain Dew. Even after offers… some just weren’t right. Then I got an email from the amazing Sue Grimshaw from Random House. She loved my book, but wanted something NA. I had a YA. So… no offer.

BUT! She wanted me. ME. So I wrote a NA for her. And the amazing happened. It got picked up. Not only that one, but another one. HOLY MOLY. And because I went crazy, I self published a book while I waited. Best. Decision. Ever!
And then… my YA… it got picked up too! Suddenly my endless days of waiting, my tears, my confusion over why this isn’t happening yet, my anger, my frustration… all of it seemed like such a short period of time. Now, as I look back, I’m glad for the 120 rejections. I’m happy over the horrible and stressful rewrites. I’m so RELIEVED I didn’t take the first offer that came my way.

And now I’m SO HAPPY to be launching Random House’s FLIRT line with my debut NA, FRIDAY NIGHT ALIBI.If you want a fun, light, romantic, and sassy book (that’s clean ;)) I hope you’ll pick up this one :)
Another thank you to Tammy! Mwa!
Pfffttt...anytime girl!! Here are ways to get FRIDAY NIGHT ALIBI now!!
HAVE YOU been experiencing the "R&R" in your writing life?

40 comments:

Mark Koopmans said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Cassie, and Good Luck :)

Cheers to you, Tammy T. for being the RockStar you are - and I sooo like this new profile over a former one!

Just sayin' :)

Neurotic Workaholic said...

Good for Cassie for continuing to write even after 120 rejections. That just shows how dedicated she is to writing and to her books.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You just had to go through the fire to find the perfect fit for you - and then you found several. Congratulations, Cassie!

Suze said...

Cassie, seriously, congratulations. You've earned it.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Congratulations, Cassie. I always love the unusual publishing stories.

And yes to your question.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Congratulations Cassie, loved reading about your publishing journey.

SC Author said...

"Boring" publishing story? There is no such thing (I think)! And yours was awesome. Congrats :)

Tammy Theriault said...

YAY TO CASSIE!!!

Samantha May said...

Love it! It's like a Cinderella story for writers :D

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I shall happy dance for Cassie's success. May we do it often.

S.P. Bowers said...

Rejections are steps to the goal. Not particularly fun steps, but as long as we keep going forward we'll get there. Congrats Cassie!

Elise Fallson said...

Thanks for sharing this Cassie. This shows just show how important determination and hard work is. You did it!! And LOL at your pics. :D

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats, Cassie! Loved hearing your publication story. It's very inspiring. And good luck with your book.

michelle said...

Congratulations Cassie!
Hi Tammy! *waves*
Writer In Transit

Tammy Theriault said...

*waves to everyone * THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!!!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Congrats Cassie...

There may be hope for the rest of us yet! LOL...

Tammy....

I have a cover reveal I need your opinion on since I illustrated it! Do stop by when the urge hit you! LOL.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Very encouraging to hear your story!

Pat Hatt said...

Dedication indeed, congrats a ton

Lexa Cain said...

I started writing in 2009 -- but other than that your writing journey sounds just like mine! Up until the Random House editor and subsequent success part. :P

Congrats to you! Your enthusiasm is infectious, and you're a wonderful inspiration to all of us! :-)

Tammy Theriault said...

CASSIE IS KILLING IT TODAY!!

Suzi said...

I wonder what the percentage of authors is that never knew exactly how hard it was to get published.

Pretty high, probably.

Congratulations Cassie Mae!

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Love this post. I had no idea what I was doing for so long. Blogging really helped! It's how I met my CPs and I learned so much from so many people. :)

Leigh Covington said...

Got my copy! Love this book!

Ashley Chappell said...

You are a total inspiration, girl!

Out of curiosity - you said that choosing to self pub while you waited on other MS was an awesome decision for you. What made it such a good experience?

Congrats to you on making it happen!

Cassie Mae said...

Hey Ashley!

I think the best part of self publishing was it prepared me for traditional publishing as well. It helped build my audience before I launched this book, but that's all from a marketing perspective.

From a personal one, there is something very satisfying knowing people have read and connected with your work. Not only that, but I've connected with other authors and fans because of it. I also have a good grip on the publishing aspect, more businesslike approach as well as personal approach. Like picking a cover that will sell vs. a cover that is perfect for the story. It prepared me for social media, marketing, and many more things that you need to know as an author who is trying to build their audience.

I also know what a good deal is vs. a bad one. I can look at things from a publisher's POV, and not just as an author's. It helps when publisher's make decisions that aren't always something you, as and author, want, but you understand them because it is a business.

I won't stop self publishing books because there are some books I feel are better suited for that route, but I also won't stop going traditional either. Self publishing is not only very satisfying (like wahoo! I'm doing this on my own!) but it gives you a knack for understanding the business side of the publishing world.

(Also, gave me something else to think about while I was waiting, waiting, waiting! LOL)

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm seeing Cassie Mae all over the place. Good luck to her and her new release!

Love the Harry Potter pic!

Ashley Chappell said...

Wow, awesome response, Cassie! Thanks so much for putting the time into it. My publisher does almost exclusively YA fantasy but I'm sitting on a trunk novel that's an experimental genre mix and unsure what to do with it. I think your idea of mixing traditional and self-pubbing is a great solution to keep a writer from going insane amid the waiting!

Tammy Theriault said...

SO GLAD YOU GUYS CAME!!!

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Congrats on not just getting published but your book is launching a new line for a publisher, eek! Rejection is hard but you show the rewards of never giving up. Good for you Cassie.

Trisha F said...

A fun story with a few downs, but many ups - including the up you are currently on! :D

Heather Holden said...

Wow, what a stressful journey. Glad you finally managed to find success, Cassie!

Crystal Collier said...

Whew! It's such a roller coaster--this process. I suppose that's why only the truly determined survive, eh? The rest get thrown off the ride at some point.

klahanie said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing! Cassie Mae, your never give up attitude, your determination to see your dream a reality, bodes well for your future.

Tammy, you're welcome for this comment and I look forward to your reply to my comment. You will now notice that I share this on 'Farcebook'!

Tammy Theriault said...

SHARING IS CARING GARY!

klahanie said...

NICE USE OF CAPITAL LETTERS!

Tammy Theriault said...

I KNOW, RIGHT?!? IT'S LIKE I'M YELLING!!

David P. King said...

I have to know where all these amazing memes come from. Awesome accent to an awesome quest post. Thanks for the laugh, Cassie! :)

Christine Rains said...

Yay for Cassie! What an awesome story.

Emily R. King said...

Ah, rejection. Ick. Great job sticking with it, Cassie!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We need more clean books!