Friday, May 31, 2013

The WIP IT GOOD Blogfest!!

When I heard from my beta reader last night, PK Hzero, that I can get an agent by joining this bloghop
and not have to do any work for it...I was SOLD!!
Then she said just kidding...
Rude, PK!
Oh, well, what the flibberty-gibbets. I'll just do it for the fun of it.
Thanks to DL and Elise for putting it together!
So this is getting my WIP in the know. You know, so you know, about knowing ...and stuff.
Here is my information on my supposed best-seller, if it wouldn't keep me up at night wanting to press delete in multiple areas. Or at least for the 1st chapter!

WIP Title:  Living RunAway

Word Count (projected/actual so far): 60k

Genre: YA suspense with light romance

How long have you been working on it?: Since Sept 2012 (you do the math)

Elevator Pitch (if you came across an agent in an elevator ride, what couple of lines would you use to summarize your book):
Wanna make some money young sir? (That would normally do). But then I would say:  Naive 17 yr old Emily, opens the mail one day pushing her into her parent's dangerous secret, causing the only survival to be, to runaway. Through first crushes, heartache, misery and learning the price of self worth, Emily fights to live one moment at a time. (Then I'd put on my money sign glasses) cha-ching!

Brief Synopsis (250 words or less):

 Honestly...I HAVE NOT written one yet. So this will have to do in the 10mins I have to make something up:

The last day of her Junior year, Emily is excited when she gets a manila envelope in the mail. With her 18th birthday approaching, she assumes it's from her alchoholic father, who is away on another business trip. All Emily cares about is the gift, and the sorry that should go with it...but it's not from him.

It's a piece of him.

As Emily's mind is whirlwinded into frantic, shocking discoveries her mom tries to explain but continues to hold back on, all is broken apart by one deadly phone call, forcing them to do the only thing they can to live.

Runaway.

Emily's world continues to be splattered upside down when she finds that she may have been the cause of her father's death when secrets began to pour out as a mother and daughter mend what relationship they have, trying to survive.

Together they go through desperate measures as their location is found and they can no longer hide. But the only thing keeping Emily sane through the turmoil and trials, is Jessy. Her first summer crush. But later she will discover, that he's not her only way out.

* DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM*



Thanks for peeking. This, all of this, is totally new to me. First time doing any it, and yep, it's sucky but hey, at least I tried right???

p.s. not looking for a critique or beta peep, but am in the market for a dark chocolate fountain laced with strawberries and macaroons...

33 comments:

DL Hammons said...

Interesting premise! I can definitely see that interesting more than a few agents. Good luck with it! :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

Your synopsis is gripping. The line 'a piece of him' really attracts your attention!

Pk Hrezo said...

LOL did I say that?? :)

You did fab! Now I know a little more of what's in store. Am I gonna cry? I hope so. I love when stories make me cry.
Let me know when you get that fountain. Yum-o!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

It does NOT suck! I love that synopsis...you are definitely the blurb writing queen...wanna do mine?
:)

Pat Hatt said...

Another way out, sounds like a great set up indeed

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That sounds intense!

M.J. Fifield said...

* DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM* <---Love that.

Your synopsis is pretty awesome.

And if you do come across that dark chocolate fountain, let me know...

Elise Fallson said...

Guess what!? I clicked your link in the list and it brought me directly here! I call that progress. (:

Your premise is very cool! Get this finished hon because I want to see it on my shelf, after I read it. (: And I like your method at approaching agents in the lift. I shall take note.

Elizabeth Hein said...

I love the twist of not from him but a piece of him. Very intriguing!

Adriana Dascalu said...

That will definitely catch the agent's attention! And that's an interesting premise!

J. A. Bennett said...

I was seriously going to say what Alex said, super cool!

Crystal Collier said...

Dark chocolate fountain, eh? I'll keep an eye out. ;)

Great concept. Can't wait to see this one fully fleshed out.

Tammy Theriault said...

THANKS EVERYONE! CHOCOLATE FOR EVERYONE1

SC Author said...

*Hands dark chocolate fountain* *takes it back because CHOCOLATE = AWESOME*

And that synopsis....Holy crap. That can be a query by itself. IT SOUNDS SO SCARY AND AWESOME. My stomach is literally in knots right now!

Tiana Smith said...

Man, I need to get me some money sign glasses! Sounds like a great concept :)

klahanie said...

Argggghhhh! Okay, Gary...breathe, relax, smile...:)

Have I mentioned your book too soon on my blog? Liking the end word to your synopsis. Blurb away, I say.

Another blogfest! Enough already!

Gary :)

Tammy Theriault said...

GARY, HAVE SOME OF MY DARK CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN TREATS...BREATH!

Carrie-Anne said...

Very interesting concept. You did a pretty good job on writing a synopsis with such little time.

J.L. Campbell said...

Oh boy, you had me at 'a piece of him'. Not cool for Emily, but what a good shocker for a atoryline.

Cherie Reich said...

The "It's a piece of him" really captured my attention.

Suzanne said...

The synopsis grabbed me - would want to read more :)
Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe

JEFritz said...

A piece of him. That does not sound good. DUM DUM DUMMMM indeed. It's definitely intriguing.

Timothy Brannan said...

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Tim
The Other Side blog.

Leigh Covington said...

Sounds GREAT, Tammy!

Heather Holden said...

Loving the sound of this WIP! The "piece of him" line especially hooked me in and made me want to learn more! (I'm twisted, haha.) Good luck with this!

Trisha F said...

Ohh, your WIP sounds action-packed and thrilling (and sad at times of course). I'd definitely be into reading it :)

Milo James Fowler said...

You've definitely raised the stakes for your character right from the start -- keep at it!

Emily R. King said...

Not bad for a first timer, Tammy. You did great!

Tammy Theriault said...

I'M THROWING CHOCLATES AT EVERYONE!

Jenny Woolf said...

Wow, this sounds like a strong story! I hope an agent spots it,(even though you won't get one just by doing the blog hop haha - someone has a mischievous sense of humour)

Deniz Bevan said...

Oooh, that "piece of him" line sent chills up my spine!

Hunter Emkay said...

Enjoyed your synopsis. What bit of dad? I vote for the ear, it's easy to get off.

Pat Tillett said...

Good job! You said just enough to make people want more!