Monday, May 20, 2013

Gotta Love a "QUICKIE" - with Annalisa Crawford

The ever so European Annalisa Crawford is going on a blogging book tour June 3-18!!
(Jump below for the dates and links...)
 
But FIRST you'll want to read her preview tour
"Quickie"
so you can feel that oh, so good satisafaction in a small bit of time.
*Plus I will chose ONE random commenter to hit ECSTASY and win a FREE eCOPY OF:
Annalisa...here are you're 3 Question "Quickies":
 
 

1. When I read, I like to bloat myself up with snacks and regret it later. But the book I never regret. I'm gonna let you be my "food conceirge". What snack, dessert, dish, or drink goes best with each story? Mix and match if needed.

Firstly, thanks for having me over Tammy! Ooh you do ask great questions... Okay, let's think carefully about this. Starting from the easiest:
 
--I'd say eat an omelette when reading Omelette!
--Jo in Portrait of the Painter eats bread and butter with the crusts cut off - the paint
  smeared hands are optional.
--People have been truly chilled when they read That Sadie Thing, so a brandy might help
   you to calm down again.
--I'd probably make you a great British cup of tea for The Walking Dead & Shadows of   
   Autumn - a hug in a mug.
--And, because I can't believe I've never written a story about chocolate, a really big box of 
   Belgian chocolates to eat with the rest!

2. I hear there are some unknowns. Maybe a shoebox hidden underground of writing that never made the book? Please explain while I go get the shovel.

Yes there are, & they should never be dug up. I have completely disowned Paper Moon. It was my 3rd story published & in a brand new magazine in 1995 - I was in the second and last issue - so I think they were desperate. It was the first & only time I'd written about real people. I think I was trying to work through a few issues of my own... It was about a woman who was kidnapped by her male best friend on her wedding day because the best friend was in love with her. Like I said, it was not good!

A second one I decided not to include was called For the Children. It was my attempt at a dystopian story about a future society where the rich and poor are kept separate by zoning. But one day a rich man stubbles into the poor area and sees for himself the true poverty. He decides to take a poor child home with him, but his wife shops him to the police. Actually, it might be worth revisiting this one - I think I was just a little out of my comfort zone when I wrote it.

3.Your story ideas are impeccable. I always wonder what trickery you're going to use at the end making me say: "Whoa! Why do you like messing with my blood pressure?". Explain your thought process while I fill my new script for metoprolol.

Aw, thank you. Sometimes I don't have anything more than a first line, so I have no idea where the story's going. The Girl who is Good, for example, started out with a great first line, & I thought I was going to write a story about bulimia. I think in a way it is - it depends how literal you want to take the whole split personality thing.

I actually love messing with your head (& your blood pressure). I love 'what if?', so if I've got a man who's in psychiatric care, why shouldn't the werewolves he hears be real? Why shouldn't the devil be the cat sitting on the window ledge? Or I'll have an idea for a great death scene, and as a reader you'll spend the entire story wondering if the character will really die.

What I love more than anything is writing stories that the reader can interpret in different ways - I'm always thrilled when I hear people's opinions about what they think has happened. I know what really happens at the end of my novella Cat and The Dreamer, but I'm never going to tell you!

Well now...and here I thought we were besties! For shame!


I've read, tried, & checked my blood pressure on several occasions.
 "THAT SADIE THING and other stories" is a must have!!
 
 
NOW... here are all the awesome blogs Annalisa will be featured in!!
 
10 June - Elizabeth Seckman - http://eseckman.blogspot.co.uk/
11 June - Linda King - http://excusemewhileinotethatdown.blogspot.co.uk/
12 June - Tania (TF) Walsh - http://tfwalsh.wordpress.com/
17 June - Rachel Schieffelbein - http://rachelmarybean-writingonthewall.blogspot.co.uk/
18 June - Michelle Wallace - http://www.writer-in-transit.co.za/

****Have you read the book? What is your favorite story? Did you enjoy your "Quickie"?****

 

55 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

Thanks for having me over today, Tammy. It's funny, but I never consider myself European! I feel all exotic now :-)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I like bread and butter but I think I'll skip the paint covered hands.

Julie Luek said...

I bet it's very satisfying to get feedback about what kind of responses readers have to your stories! Fun.

Personally, I like tea with my books. Especially the suspenseful ones!

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

I haven't read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. :) I loved Cat and the Dreamer. Annalisa has such a unique style. :)

Emily R. King said...

Beautiful cover and compelling premise. Oh, and Belgian chocolates should be a writing must!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think you should rewrite that second story, Annalisa.

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I think a story about a woman who is kidnapped on her wedding day sounds interesting; does she end up falling in love with him or does she escape?

Pat Hatt said...

haha fun answers as always here, so much to choose when reading too, anything that doesn't have crumbs.

M.J. Fifield said...

Great questions and great answers. Belgian chocolates for the win!

Johanna Garth said...

This is probably one of my favorite interviews I've read! I love the idea of a food concierge. I need someone to remove the cheesy popcorn from me when I read!

Tammy Theriault said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by...keep commenting! One of ya'll will be a lucky ebook winner!!

Morgan said...

Annalisa's story ideas are impeccable! Loved the interview, Tammy. The two of you together = a fabulous post!

Murees Dupé said...

Great questions ans equally great answers. I think I will take that brandy now.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Diane - probably a good call on the paint!

Julie - I make tea to drink while I read, but then I get so engrossed that I forget it's there :-)

Rachel - Aw, thanks Rachel :-)

Emily - Thank you. Yes, the chocolates for writing, reading, editing, putting MS down to watch TV...

Alex - I might have a go. I'm sure I could make it much darker than I ever could when I was younger :-)

NW - neither of the above, in answer to your question about the story which will never be mentioned again!

Pat - ooh, there's nothing worse than crumbs stuck in the spine of your book!

M.J. - the chocolates would be my choice. I definitely need to write about chocolate - but Joanne Harris wrote the definitive really... plus Johnny Depp... Um, sorry, what was I saying?

Johanna - cheesy popcorn? I've never tried that.

Morgan - thank you! :-)

Murees - did the interview drive you to the brandy??

M Pax said...

Mmm, paint. :D Definitely chocolate! Annalisa is a great writer.

Heather Holden said...

Fun interview! I haven't read this book yet, but I have heard about it. (The cover is so stunning!)

Christine Rains said...

I think we all want a quickie with Annalisa. Doesn't surprise me you got her first! It's the motorcycle, right? The book is absolutely fantastic. The title story, That Sadie Thing is my favorite. Creeeepy. And gets you into the mind of someone you never thought you'd be.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Fun interview!

I already read the book, so leave me out of the drawing. As for picking my favorite story? Um, yes. Like a mother with a bunch of children, I like 'em ALL.

Arlee Bird said...

I like brandy with my reading and writing.

Best wishes on the book!

Lee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog

Donna Hole said...

Good luck with the tour Analise. And yes, I enjoyed the quickie. Now I need a snack and perhaps a hug in a mug :)

....dhole

Lexa Cain said...

I agree with you, the story ideas sound impeccable - not to mention surprising and exciting. I wanna read this! Wishing Annalisa huge success. :-)

Tammy Theriault said...

HER BOOK IS AMAZING GUYS!!!! YOU WON'T BE SAD YOU BOUGHT IT BUT LOVING IT!!

Annalisa Crawford said...

M Pax - thank you so much!

Heather - I'm really pleased you've heard of the book - sometimes it's hard to tell how far the message reaches!

Christine - lol! I really loved writing That Sadie Thing too.

Susan - what a great compliment, thank you :-)

Arlee - I've never tried brandy when I write, I stick to tea or wine!

Donna - thank you. I definitely recommend dunking biscuits into your tea too. I never mentioned dunking in the interview... d'oh!

Lexa - thank you so much!

Tammy - once again, thank you so much for the great questions - I had to think hard about them :-)

Carole Anne Carr said...

Thanks for joining me, Tammy. I clicked on your post on MY blog and it took me to another of your sites - where you use your shortened name - and I see you are still posting from Google+ on that one.
If you post from THIS site to my blog, I should be able to see if you have disconnected this from Google+ successfully. Carole :0)

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a great collection of stories! What ifs are the best :)

Brian Miller said...

very cool...love me some short story...the idea of the one you did not include on the rich/poor sounds like a cool premise...hope you do revisit it...

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tammy .. I've just bought That Sadie Thing .. and now I know what to eat or drink as I read each story - that will make life easier!

Interesting to find that shoebox - I wonder if the stories can be resuscitated ...

Now I can't wait to see and read these twisty endings ..

Love the way the post takes .. cheers to you both - Hilary

Suze said...

'Please explain while I go get the shovel.'

You're so funny and cute, girl.

Stephen Tremp said...

I used to drink tea while reading. I should pick it up again. I do like a mixture of various teas and flavors.

michelle said...

I'll take sweet rose' in place of that brandy offer... or a good cup of English tea... maybe with a dash of honey?

I already have That Sadie Thing. It's a wonderful and varied collection of stories.
If you haven't done so, then you need to read it!
All the best Annalisa!

Writer In Transit

Elizabeth Seckman said...

LOVED "Irish Green"...have to say that's my favorite.

Cherie Reich said...

Mmm, I could go for some hot tea and chocolate now.

And the short story collection sounds fabulous, Annalisa!

klahanie said...

Yay Annalisa and um, oh yeah, Tammy,

How about that, Annalisa, you are European and David Cameron wants a word with you :) "Don't look to puzzled, Tammy!"

Would you eat a Hamlet when reading Hamlet?

Annalisa, it's good that your stories are subject to interpretation and that the reader can draw their own conclusions. Speaking of conclusions, I shall conclude by saying you're extremely welcome for my comment and being so awesome, I shall now bring further awareness to my millions of fans of this wonderful interview with Annalisa.

I'm going now....

Gary

Ashley Chappell said...

Oooh, Annalisa I LOVE the cover art! It's chilling on its own... I can't wait to read the stories!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Tammy,

Congrats, Annalisa!

What an intriguing premise and intense cover.

All the best with your tour. Your blogger hosts are all AMAZING!

Enjoyed the interview... as always, Tammy.

Love morning tea with my neighbor and CHOCOLATE ANYTIME....

But COFFEE is always by my side, when I write. Gotta have the COFFEE! LOL.

Tammy,

I didn't KEEP my 80's shorts... DAMN... if I only knew. LOL. But how about sporting a fitted tank top, and skinny, jeans in deep sapphire blue (Express brand.. Love the fit. LOL) Been so into blue lately... Had an awesome time...

SO where are you located. I've gotta put you on my blogger spotted list. I love meeting my blogger buddies and travel around a lot.

celeste holloway said...

Actually, I think I once owned that cat. His name was Moses, but really, I believe he was the devil! Reading that line gave me a little chill! Good luck to you Annalisa! I think I'll tell my friend to rethink her baby name. She says it'll be Sadie, but the girl on your cover looks creepy. Maybe I'll buy her the book, and she can take it from there. I wish you loads of success. Tammy, go pop a blood pressure pill, and call me in the morning. :P

Annalisa Crawford said...

Jemi - I think most writers have what-ifs in their heads, even if they don't realise it!

Brian - I may look again at the rich/poor story, but their are so many better dystopian/science fiction writers than me. Just the phrase 'world building' scares me :-)

Hilary - I hope you enjoy the book. And some stories should not be resuscitated!

Stephen - tea is great, but I've never liked the flavoured or herbal teas, they always smell much nicer than they taste!

Michelle - thank you so much :-)

Elizabeth - :-)

Cherie - thank you. Enjoy the tea and chocolate... I might join you!

Gary - thanks for sharing the post! I'm extremely honoured to receive your comments!

Ashley - I'm so happy people are chilled by my cover... is that wrong? :-)

Michael - I don't like drinking coffee, but I love coffee flavoured chocolate! Coffee seems more writerly though.

Celeste - your friend might be okay, the girl on the cover isn't Sadie! But she still might change her mind, if she read that story!

unikorna said...

I am a journalist and I must say...great questions..and just as great answers :). Good luck to lovely Annalisa.

nutschell said...

What is it with snacks and books? I like to munch on something or at least have a nice cup of tea when I'm reading a book too! Lovely to get to know you more Annalisa!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Dana said...

Great interview! I love the snacks and books question. :)

Looking forward to reading Annalisa's book!

Shallee said...

Thanks for sharing! And thanks for a fun interview. :)

Tammy Theriault said...

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! ONE OF YOU WILL ALSO BE THE LUCKY WINNER OF HER BOOK!!

Carol Kilgore said...

Ooh, I like what goes on in your head, Annalisa.

Great interview, Tammy.

Karen Lange said...

I too, think it's interesting how people interpret stories. It can be almost like playing Whisper Down the Lane in grade school. Fun interview, thanks so much to both of you! :)

tfwalsh said...

So excited for you... congrats on the launch:)

Rachel Morgan said...

Your 'what if' stories sound fascinating!

Annalisa Crawford said...

Unikorna - thanks for reading :-)

Nutschell - nothing better than a cup of tea!

Dana - thanks, hope you enjoy it :-)

Shallee - Tammy's questions were so great!

Carol - my head is a weird place to be :-)

Karen - it's a bit like that, yes!

Tania - thanks!

Rachel - they're all written and ready to go, one day :-)

Theresa Milstein said...

Nice to hear about your first published stories. Poor mag that closed so fast.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Tammy, nice to meet you. New follower here. Great interview. The book sounds good. Will add it to my TBR pile.

Gina Gao said...

This is a really awesome interview! I liked reading this post very much.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Annalisa Crawford said...

Theresa - my first 5 stories were all published in magazines that closed within a couple of years of publishing me... even some established ones!

Rachna - thank you, I hope you enjoy it :-)

Gina - Tammy's questions were fun to answer, her posts are always so wild and interesting :-)

Old Kitty said...

Oooh so loving the snacks, foodstuff and alcoholic beverage to go with what story!!!!! And tea!! Everything must go with tea!!! With a jaffa cake on the side. Maybe.

All the best with your blog tour Annalisa and amazing book of scrummy stories!!! Take care
x

Tammy Theriault said...

WATCH OUT FOR NEXT WEEK'S REVEAL : FREE BOOK!!

Thanks everyone for the amazing support for Annalisa!

Annalisa Crawford said...

Kitty - Oh yes, definitely Jaffa Cakes! They don't dunk very well though...

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Irish Green is so far my fave!