Thursday, October 18, 2012

You can "DO IT" anywhere...a car, a bowling alley...& a Super Sweet Award!!

    Did I grab your attention? Perv...lol! This past week I have found it really hard to find time to write for my book. "What?" I know, I know. It's completely unheard of! "You mean a full time working mom of four with after school activities for them and me doesn't find time? Well shoot, you must be bad at time management." Wow. (Sounds to me like I'm having a conversation with myself, huh?)
   
    Well guess what? It's not ALWAYS about time management and squeezing in quiet time to write. It's also about rolling with the punches, and writing when you can. ANYWHERE. Yes, in a car while waiting for someone. Yes, in a bowling alley while you're doing Special Olympics (ok, that one is more for me). Yes, while your waiting at the dentist office for you or your child. Yes, while waiting for boy scouts to be over.

    I have found more opportunities to write just by carrying around my "handy dandy notebook." (crap I'm gonna have to pay someone for that line, right?) Any ounce of spare time I get, granted it could just be as little as 5-10 minutes, I'm at least 5-10 minutes further along in my book. And in a week of "poor time management" and "grab and go moments", I was able to write 5k words. Score! Toni said I did "Grrrrreat!" (more money paid out...crap!)

"Hope" is out there, you just got to find her, offer her a little chocolate because I heard that's her thing, and she will help you. (This is my actual notebook with kids writing on it "Mom's stories" & "MOMO" and all...totally sophisticated...I know! And apparently it says I'm only allowed to write about "1 subject". They get me everytime!  :)~~~~ )

QUESTION TO YOU THE READERS: Where have you found "hope" for your writing??

****************************************************************************************

                   SUPER SWEET BLOGGER AWARD

Mark Koopman has graced me with something sweet...a cupcake picture! What a tease of a picture and totally unfair!! Mark, I will accept your quest to do as Willy Wonka once did and made it possible to eat the things you see on your TV and do it for computers! Now, I continue the trend of questions. Thank you so sickly sweet, Mark!

1. Cookies or cake?
My mouth is big enough for both. (I feel bad for pie. It got totally rejected! Don't worry, I have room for you, too!)

2. Chocolate or vanilla?
Chooooocoooolate. Chocolate ice cream. Chocolate cowboy cookies. Chocolate Cream Pie. Chocolate Sundae. Chocolate grasshoppers. Chocolate frosting... (Forrest Gump anyone?)

3. What is your favorite sweet treat?
Jiffy Pop's Kettle Corn MANIA!!! But "me love you long time" Carmel Popcorn!

4. When do you crave sweet things most?
When I'm hungry. When I feel like "gee, today I'm too skinny" (yeah, right!). When I feel like "gee, I would  like tighter pants today, thank you!" Or when my husband is around...hahahaha. Couldn't keep a straight face on that one...obviously I don't have a time frame for sweetness.

5. If you had a sweet nickname, what would it be?

(Voice from Sloth on movie "Goonies") "Baby...Ruth...Baby...Ru..th" or I'd go with Red Hots. Minus the "s" of course!

AND NOW, DRUM ROLL PLEASE! I gift the teaser of a cupcake picture & Sweetness award to three people who have been ever so Sweet to meet:

1. Emily King
2. S. P. Bowers
3. David Powers King

Enjoy!

42 comments:

Morgan said...

You are so funny, Tammy... I'm totally laughing at your answers... So glad Mark passed the award on to you! And hope for my writing? I find hope in meeting other people. Being connected with other authors really helps! :D

Samantha May said...

This is one of my reasons for writing my first draft in notebooks. It's much easier to carry that around than it is to carry a computer :P If you've got all of that going on AND you still have time to write, you're my hero :D

Julie Luek said...

I need to get in a better habit of carrying a notebook around anywhere. I'm always inside my head, no matter what I'm doing. I might as well jot these ideas down. And congrats on the award. Nice!

S.P. Bowers said...

Thanks for thinking of me!

I totally get you on the writing where and when you can, even if it's only for 10 minutes. I think I have a notebook in each of my bags. Otherwise there would be no writing.

Emily R. King said...

Aw, thanks for passing on the award, Tammy! I think my mouth is big enough for cake and cookies too...hmm, I shall test my theory soon. :P

Tammy Theriault said...

Thanks, Morgan! I enjoy laughing at myself...

Tammy Theriault said...

i'll be your hero anyday, samantha, but it's gotta come with pay... :)~~~~

Tammy Theriault said...

i use to carry around a smaller version for my purse. try it!!

Tammy Theriault said...

you can buy the ones that fit in your purse...it's oh so perfect!

Tammy Theriault said...

Amen to that! and congrats!!

Tammy Theriault said...

We shall do it together! hahaha... congrats, the award is so well deserved for you.

Super Spud Trilogy said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog - now following yours. Congrats on the award and great idea with the notebook, will be so handy to jot down ideas.

Tammy Theriault said...

I really like your trilogy idea! i'm also writing something that i started when i was a teenager, lost the notebook, but am now decades later trying to recreate that lost story... hope i have as much success doing so as you!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. New follower here...I enjoyed reading about your dessert preferences. I loved The Goonies! I still remember that scene when Chunk found the freezer with all that ice-cream...

Elise Fallson said...

Hilarious! Love your answers. And yes a notebook is handy and much better than the random scraps of paper, receipts and torn paper bags I used to use! (:

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Your answers are a hoot. Thanks for visiting my blog from Alex's. I carry both a notebook and a mini-recorder for putting down ideas for plot twists, neat bits of dialogue, and other ideas. There was a post recently from a woman who recommended quitting your job to write full time. Sadly, you cannot quit being a mother! :-) Great post, Roland

Carol Kilgore said...

Congrats on your award! And good for you carrying around your notebook. I'm only somewhat good at doing that. I do always have a small pad and pencil with me, though.

Happy Weekend!

Paula Sangare said...

I love this post Tammy so funny. I too carry around my handy dandy notebook, every where I go. One for each WIP I'm working on. This has always been a habit.

David P. King said...

Wow! Thanks for the tag. I know what my Monday post is going to be. I'm very much a "write anywhere" guy. There simply isn't a huge block of time I can dedicate to writing these days, but still manage to tackle a few K here and there. :)

klahanie said...

Hi Tammy,

Oh yeah, write anywhere you can. Heck, I'm writing this from the um 'top of my head' and that's pretty tricky.

Hey congrats for receiving the "SUPER SWEET BLOGGER AWARD" I hope the pie recovers from being rejected by you. And congrats to those you bestowed such a sweet award upon.

Okay, let's go somewhat literal. Last year I was actually doing some writing in Hope as in Hope, British Columbia, Canada. Yes, Hope, where "Rambo First Blood" was filmed. The people of Hope mistook me for Sylvester Stallone. Gosh! :)

Have a good weekend.

Gary

Lexa Cain said...

If I really need to get some writing done, I find I can write longhand in a notebook while watching TV with the family. Writing longhand keeps me from going back and editing and rewriting obsessively. (I also get great plot ideas while doing dishes. Weird but true.) Find whatever works and keep doing it! :-D

Tammy Theriault said...

i use to watch that movie growing up all the time! loved it. i always use the line "it's our time, down here!"

Tammy Theriault said...

torn paper bags and receipts? wow, thats intense! :)~

Tammy Theriault said...

i read that! thanks for thinking of me... :)*

Tammy Theriault said...

anything works, Carol :) happy weekend to u!!

Tammy Theriault said...

great minds think alike...lol

Tammy Theriault said...

deserved tag!! congrats!

Tammy Theriault said...

i heard he is a short man... you should have done the thing where u get people to pay for autographs...hahaha.

Tammy Theriault said...

ur right! i will fold laundry and thoughts come flowing...

Donna Hosie said...

Gotta love those cupcakes!

Theresa Milstein said...

That cartoon is too funny!

I hear you on time management. I try to write a little everyday, usually during my lunch break. I'm amazed at the progress over time.

Dana said...

Thanks for following. Definitely following back!

I agree—if we really look, we can find pockets of time to write. I carry a notebook, too, and often write during storytime. If I forget my notebook, I get out my phone and send e-mails to myself. Whatever works!

Nice to meet you. :)

Miranda Hardy said...

Hi Tammy! I've learned to carry around my composition book everywhere. Sometimes, I just need it as security and a reminder to write. I have a busy life, as well. I'm a single parent to two, plus have an additional two that aren't mine to support. Working full time, getting everyone to work, karate, school...gets busy.

Glad to meet you Tammy!

Tammy Theriault said...

such a tease!

Tammy Theriault said...

awesome! any bit helps :)~

Tammy Theriault said...

emails? great idea!

Tammy Theriault said...

another busy bee! glad to meet u, too, Miranda!

klahanie said...

Oh, my human, Gary, tried that. He hunched down while wearing army fatigues and the good folks of Hope said there was no way they would pay him for autographs! If he had been mistaken, for that um 'amazing' Canadian, Justin Bieber, no doubt he would of got loads of money for autographs. Then again, they probably would of told him to move to another country! Pawsitive wishes, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star, recently upgraded to superstar status! :)

Terri Tiffany said...

Nice to meet you Tammy! I find I can only write on my computer at home when it's quiet--but I do a lot of thinking of plot when sitting in the dentist office or wandering through the grocery store etc. I hope you write tons more and like me find that climb back into writing productive.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Look at all your great comments on this post! You've got the right attitude. It's not about finding the perfect time to write, it's about writing during the imperfect times, squeezing it in here and there. I know just how you feel with the mothering and volunteering and networking. We do what we can.
I'm also a huge chocolate fan. I find it to be quite inspirational.
Thanks for finding my riding/writing blog. I also blog at Play off the Page
Nice to meet you!

Caitlin said...

Ha! You've got me cracking up, there are many days I could do with both cookies or cake.

Wonderful attitude, though. I used to carry a notebook around before kids, actually. Now with a toddler and infant I don't bother as someone usually needs either their nose or their rear wiped about every two minutes. But finding time at home, any time not just the perfect time, has really helped me to accomplish my writing goals.

Tammy Theriault said...

caitlin, totally agree!