Monday, October 1, 2012

Hambones & Did It Ever Happen To You???

     A deserved shout out to Emily for helping me with the world of blogoligy. If that were a course, I just copyrighted that! I think a few times when she explained all the things I could do I may have overdone the deer in headlights look. Just run me over! So please, enlarge the throw me a bone, and make it a hambone! At least then, I can turn it into some killer soup.
                                                   
         I'm looking forward to comments and critiques (shame*shame) on my short stories and poems. I appreciate everyone that has come to see my blog and visited. Stay for awhile! There are refreshments in the back. Walk around, read stories posted (luckily I only have 3 stories!) and I will always try to comment and check out everyone's blogs, too. With that said, moving on to the next segment...
                              DID IT EVER HAPPEN TO YOU???

Last year, I was asked to write a story for my work's magazine (which I will post another time).  I had participated in a protest rally for Medicaid cutbacks at the Capitol Building steps in Olympia,
WA. Since I work with Adults with Developmental Disabilities this was a huge deal to them. It had been quite some time since I had last written anything beyond emails to friends. A couple years at least. I took my time, wrote it out, got some high 5's, sent it off and it made the cover page. And of course to my disgust, they had to shorten it a bit to make the cover. After reading their cutback version, the vibe was off a bit. It seemed the phrases they re-phrased took the voice I had in the story away. To me, I could see the difference. What made matters worse, they credited the story to my boss since she was the one that turned it in! Ha!
HAS SOMETHING SIMILAR EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?

30 comments:

Melissa said...

That's a bummer! Hope you get credit next time.

Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

It's never happened to me, but I can imagine the disappointment.

Tammy Theriault said...

You have a great blog! I can't wait to read more!!

Tammy Theriault said...

Yes! Luckily my boss is such a sweetheart, because if she wasn't, I probably would have let that part get to me and not been able to breathe and just let it go...

Morgan said...

Grrrrr... frustrating! :/

But lovely blog here. New follower--glad to be connected :D

Tammy Theriault said...

Hey Morgan! thanks for following and i definitely appreciate any feedback! I checked your blog out...love it!

Emily R. King said...

Looking good, Tammy! :)

I have never had someone credit my work to someone else, but I doubt I would like it. I also think people tend to edit voice out first. It can be hard, but fighting to keep your voice in your work is necessary. Of course, they did it without telling you. I would be irritated!

Gina Gao said...

They should not have done that. I would have been so irritated that I would go to their publisher to get the problem fixed.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Tammy Theriault said...

Yes, of course they did without telling me... isn't that how it goes sometimes? Lol

Tammy Theriault said...

Lol! Yes I should have but I must have been having too good of a day...

Caitlin said...

Whoah! Luckily that's never happened to me. Next time around I hope that you're credited correctly!

Tammy Theriault said...

Thanks, Caitlin, me too! ;)

L.G.Smith said...

I've had the "voice" stripped out of my writing before by critiquers, but never had anyone else take credit for something I wrote (don't think so anyway). In a work situation like that I suppose there's not much you can do, but that's a tough thing for a writer to swallow. Grrr.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I can't remember the sentence now, but one magazine switched two words which turned the main character from a strong woman who was in control into a weak girl begging. I couldn't believe the impact that one change made. I hated the thought that people reading the magazine would have the wrong impression in this important scene... grrr!

Thanks for the follow, BTW :-)

michelle said...

What a nerve!! That's plain and simple "daylight robbery"!

Ellie Garratt said...

Before I decided to write what I love, rather than what had more of a chance of a steady income, I submitted my one and only short story to a women's magazine. It sold and was published about six months later. However, the fiction editor had inserted a couple of cliches and added a whole new paragraph to end it. It was enough to send me running in the opposite direction. Never again.

You have my sympathies!

Tammy Theriault said...

L.G., it was like swalling a horse pill. I had to let it go because the fight almost didn't seem worth it. Everyone in our program knew it was me so I guess that was good enough. Next time though, there will be no mistaking and ill ask for a word count!

Tammy Theriault said...

Ur welcome1 Awesome blog! Such a drag that ur character's strength got taken! Its amazing what two words can do to your entire character! Wow...

Tammy Theriault said...

When I use to do some newspaper articles, the editor use to do the same thing. One paragraph was always with a bit more than I had written...I didn't find out of course till the paper came out! Grrr! I feel ya, girl!

Annalisa Crawford said...

I was curious, so I found the story. My character should say "I wanted to prove to myself that you..." (pausing at that point, but basically wanting her boyfriend to show some passion)

What they put was "I wanted to prove myself to you..." (meaning I wanted to show you I'm worthy of you...) I was fuming!

Tammy Theriault said...

Preach it sister! :)~

Tammy Theriault said...

HUGE difference! the placement of "prove" changes literally the whole line! what were they thinking??

Carol Kilgore said...

I've done some freelancing, and once did an article for a travel magazine. Photos, the whole works. They loved it! Only when it came out, they used photos of someplace else and shortened the 800 words they requested to about 500. In doing so, they changed several of the facts around. The nightmare was made worse because they KEPT my name on it and it had turned into a piece of rubbish - even the directions were incorrect. They paid well, though - LOL.

S.P. Bowers said...

Nothing like that's happened to me but, wow, that kinda sucks.

Tammy Theriault said...

Wow! That's intense! To even get the directions wrong??? So would u say the pay was more like compensation? Lol!

Tammy Theriault said...

Hey, S.P! Ur lucky & I hope it never does!

Livia said...

I haven't had anything like that to happen to me but sure, you deserve credit for it. It's a real bummer after you took all your time and energy in to it. Nice blog! *shake hands* :)

Tammy Theriault said...

*shake hands* thanks livia!

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, Tammy,
Came over from Emily's blog. Can't say I've had anything like that happen to me, but all the stuff I write at work isn't attributed to me anyway.

Tammy Theriault said...

Hey J.L. thanks for stopping by!!